× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC510 as a mesh-type AP with a consumer router (wired backhaul)

culver-king
Aspirant

WAC510 as a mesh-type AP with a consumer router (wired backhaul)

Will I be able to drop the WAC510 into a network environment running on consumer level Netgear router and have it extend the network created by the router via a wired backhaul? How can this be accomplished, I want a PoE AP solution with wired backhaul creating a single network.

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAC510 as a mesh-type AP with a consumer router (wired backhaul)

@culver-king,

It would be best if you will implement this network setup: router--PoE switch--WAC510.  The WAC510 does not come with a power adapter that is why you will need a PoE switch to power it on. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
culver-king
Aspirant

I do have a switch with PoE capabilities. What I'm asking can I make a "MESH" like network using a WAC510 with wired backhaul to a NighthawkR8000P.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@culver-king,

Are you referring to the NETGEAR Insight Instant Mesh Network?  If yes, be informed that the WAC510 does NOT support the NETGEAR Insight Instant Mesh Network.

You can configure the WAC510 to provide you with a wireless network while it is connected via a wired backhaul.  It also supports WDS wherein you can configure point-to-point WiFi bridge connections between 2 WAC510 access points.  As reference, kindly read page 117-121 of the WAC510 user manual here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements