Re: WAC510 as a router + GS108 switch vs WAC510 access point + FVS336G router

twoods
Apprentice

WAC510 as a router + GS108 switch vs WAC510 access point + FVS336G router

Background:

I have an existing small network comprised of two switches bridged by a PowerLine adapter (for this example that could just as well be an ethernet cable). A consumer brand wireless internet router is attached to one switch and a wireless access point is attached to the other switch, along with 5 to10 wired/wireless devices on each end. I want to isolate the consumer devices from certain computers by creating two VLANs. I have narrowed down the network structure I need to following:

Option 1:

*Netgear Prosafe FVS336G (attached to cable modem) + WAC510 access point on one end and

Netgear Prosafe GS108PE switch + WAC510 access point on the other end

Option 2:

*Netgear Prosafe GS108? switch + WAC510 configured as a router (attached to cable modem) on one end and

Netgear Prosafe GS108PE switch + WAC510 access point on the other end

I know the WAC510 is better than a consumer WiFi access point for options such as VLAN and multiple SSIDs. My question is whether the WAC510 is as good a performer as a router as consumer routers? If I don't need VPN, is there any reason to go with option 1 including the FVS336G?

Message 1 of 13
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Depends on what you want on wired side and router features like firewall.

WAC510 is not a stateful firewall. by default it is acess point, but very easy put it into a router mode. It has NAT and DHCP server when working as a Router.

It can multiple SSID and each SSID can be a different VLAN. Wired port is on default VLAN.

Message 2 of 13
twoods
Apprentice

The FVS336G or the WAC510 as a router would replace an existing Linksys EA4500, which had some firewall capabilities although I never went out of my way to configure it beyond the default settings.

How would you differentiate the WAC510 (when used as a router) from other consumer WiFi routers like the EA4500? Is the WAC510 not really intended to be sitting on the edge of the internet but used (either way, as an access point or router) within an already secure network?

Message 3 of 13
P-Dog
Tutor

I have a 5300 square feet home, I was looking into the Orbi.  I decided not to get it, because I can't do ehternet backhaul between Orbi router and Orbi satellite.  So I am looking to get the WAC510, but have some questions.

Can I disable the router feature use it as an acess point only and connect it to my Nighthawk R8500?

I also want to know if I can have 2 or 3 WAC510 with the same SSID and have it work as a mesh network?

Message 4 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@P-Dog,

The WAC510 can function either as AP mode or Router mode.  If AP mode is selected, it functions as a standalone access point.  If the Router mode is selected, it functions as a standalone AP with its router functionality enabled including network address translation (NAT) and the option to enable and configure the DHCP server of the access point.  Kindly read page 84 of the WAC510 user manual here.  

So if you decide to use the WAC510 as a standalone access point, you can connect it to the Nighthawk R8500.  Also, as a standalone access point, you can have 2 or 3 WAC510 wherein you can configure the same SSID and set it up for bridging.  Kindly read pages 57-60 of the WAC510 user manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 13
twoods
Apprentice

>> Can I disable the router feature use it as an acess point only and connect it to my Nighthawk R8500? <<

This is exactly what I did (except with a Linksys EA7500 instead of a Nighthawk R8500); I turned off the radios in the EA7500. I have two WAC510s on the same network with a wired backhaul incluiding a Powerline adapter to one of the WAC510s currently using the same SSIDs.

I am having no problems with the two WAC510s using the same SSID. In the past I had problems with wireless repeaters using the same SSID, such as some devices failing to communicate if and when they "jumped" between access points.

If I am unable to get the network segmenting that I want using VLANs, I might use the WAC510s router capability. In any case I REALLY like the capability and (so far) reliability of the WAC510s, especially at their price point.

Message 6 of 13
P-Dog
Tutor

Thanks guys, this will help me make a decision!
Message 7 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@P-Dog

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 13
P-Dog
Tutor

One last question guys. If I set up two WAC510 as a standalone APs with same SSID in bringing connected to my Nightwak R8500. Would I have seamless roaming as I move freely throughout my home?
Message 9 of 13
twoods
Apprentice

I have two WAC510s set up as standalone access points with the same SSID, and am experiencing the most reliable seamless roaming that I've ever had. Before this configuration I had tried different wireless repeaters and then a different access point in additon to the router's WiFi (now disabled). Devices that were previously losing connectivity roaming are now retaining connectivity roaming with the WAC510s. I'm sure other factors can contribute to this experience but I am pleased.

Message 10 of 13
P-Dog
Tutor

Twoods, do you have your WAC510s set up the Wireless bridge? Or just have them with same SSID?
Message 11 of 13
twoods
Apprentice

I am not using the wireless bridge. The two WAC510s are each plugged into a separate switch, where the switches are linked by wired ethernet (PowerLine adapters over my home wiring actaully, but for this example that's the same as using a long cable), and the WAC510s are configured with the same SSID on both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

Message 12 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@P-Dog / @twoods,

I just want to follow-up if you have further inquiries.  Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed / resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements