× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 firmware version 9 cannot use tagged VLAN.

Nana11
Tutor

WAC510 firmware version 9 cannot use tagged VLAN.

I use WAC510 in local web management, with tagged VLANs to use multiple networks.

However, the WAC510 firmware version 9, all devices cannot access

the network normally in VLANs other than the management VLAN.

It seems that the device can only get an address from DHCP server.

I'm in trouble because I can't use the network as intended.

So, I have to revert the WAC510 firmware to 8.2.7.4 to use the wireless LAN with the tagged VLAN.

I only updated the WAC510 firmware and did not change any settings on all other devices.

I thought it might be a problem with firmware version 9.0.0.21 only, but it was the same problem with 9.1.0.13.

Is it a specification or a bug that the new WAC510 firmware version 9 does not allow the use of multiple VLANs?

If you understand, please tell me the correct answer.

I'm Japanese, so I asked Japanese forum but, no one answered.
So I decided to ask a question here.
I don't use English on a daily basis, so I'm sorry if there are any strange sentences.

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Nana11
Tutor

I was able to successfully self-solve this problem.

I updated the WAC510's firmware to the latest, did a factory reset and reconfigured everything from the initial settings, but still had the same problem.

Maybe, but it seemed that some people were using the same WAC510 and didn't have the same problem, so I next checked the operation, changing each setting one by one.

After doing so, I discovered what was causing the problem.

The problem was located under Management>Configration>Wireless>Basic>WLAN Settings.

I found that if the Wireless Client Isolation in the Advanced SSID setting was enabled, I couldn't communicate with any non-Wireless addresses too.

By disabling this setting, I was able to have network access on any VLAN other than the management VLAN.

I suspect that the point about not being able to communicate with non-wireless clients and gateways is a bug.

I'll be using this setting disabled until this issue is fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello @Nana11,

Is this WAC510 operating as a plain wireless access point, or do you experience this limitation in router mode?

Operating bunches of WAC5xx access points on various sites and venues, with at least two or more VLAN and SSIDs. Most are Insight managed (Premium and Pro sites), a hand full WAC are just locally managed. Have a local test set-up with an Insight managed switch and a local managed WAC540 on 9.1.0.13 - and we can't use SSIDs/VLANs off the base/untagged VLAN for the similar reason. 

Message 2 of 11
Nana11
Tutor

Hello @schumaku,

This WAC510 is operating as a plain wireless access point mode, without Insight.

My site has three tagged VLANs.

The VLAN IDs are 11, 2001 and 4040.

The ID of the management VLAN is 11 and the communication is the same as with previous firmware.
Clients in VLANs 2001 and 4040 can get addresses from DHCP, but are unable to communicate with the gateway or within the VLAN.
These also used to be able to communicate without problems, but I had problems accessing it on version 9.

Is a large VLAN ID number not recommended?
Or is it not recommended to mix with L2 switches from other companies?

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

No obvious limitations hit there on the VLANs I'd say. It's all industry standard, using other brand switches should not cause an issue.

Since updating to v9 firmwares, have checked the configuration of the wired port VLAN config on Management > Configuration > Wired > VLAN ? Ensure all VLANs configured on the WiFi side exist here along with the tagging required.

Message 4 of 11
Nana11
Tutor

I use local management, but I can't find "Wired" under "Configuration".

Below the "Configuration" are "System", "IP", "Wireless", "Security", and "Wireless Bridge".

I think the wired setting here is "IP".
There is only one child item here, "LAN".
There are Items that I think are related are "Untagged VLAN" and "Management VLAN".
I can't specify multiple VLANs as these places can only contain numbers.

You wrote "WAC540 on 9.1.0.13" before.
Maybe the settings are different between WAC510 and WAC540?

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, my bad - the WAC505/510 don't have these controls.

Message 6 of 11
Nana11
Tutor

Okay, thanks.

I knew, there doesn't seem to be any way to know the answer without asking NETGEAR’s customer support.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The issues I've spotted here were related to some testing of WPA3-personal ... once Windows had seen WPA3 for an SSID, it will only connect very briefly to an SSID (regardless if untagged or tagged) configured for WPA2-PSK. Easiest way is dropping the known network entry, or use the assistant to fix it, will offer a control for changing from WPA3-personal to WPA2-PSK.  Different behaviour was caused here by various test configs on untagged and tagged SSIDs.

Said that, I can't see any issues with multiple SSIDs associated to defined VLANs on WAC505/510/540/564 being on Insight environments or local Web managed devices with Netgear and other vendor VLAN trunk port configured switches.

You can always download the tech support or config form your WAC in question, send a link (e.g. Google Drive) share, and @RaghuHR will look into it.

Message 8 of 11
Nana11
Tutor

I was able to successfully self-solve this problem.

I updated the WAC510's firmware to the latest, did a factory reset and reconfigured everything from the initial settings, but still had the same problem.

Maybe, but it seemed that some people were using the same WAC510 and didn't have the same problem, so I next checked the operation, changing each setting one by one.

After doing so, I discovered what was causing the problem.

The problem was located under Management>Configration>Wireless>Basic>WLAN Settings.

I found that if the Wireless Client Isolation in the Advanced SSID setting was enabled, I couldn't communicate with any non-Wireless addresses too.

By disabling this setting, I was able to have network access on any VLAN other than the management VLAN.

I suspect that the point about not being able to communicate with non-wireless clients and gateways is a bug.

I'll be using this setting disabled until this issue is fixed.

Message 9 of 11
Nana11
Tutor

One point to note.

I had the URL filtering feature disabled, but I was having this problem.
I should note that the situation is different from what is described in the "Known Issues" section of the firmware release page.

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Wow, great find!

@Nana11 wrote:

@RaghuHR @YeZ please, and some bug bounties to Japan¨8-)

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements