× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC510 radio emission scheduler: need to downgrade firmware?

MrGralich
Aspirant

WAC510 radio emission scheduler: need to downgrade firmware?

Hi there. I've purchased a WAC510 with the main purpose to schedule the wifi activity: on / off.

I didn't do my homework right before purchasing, though, because now I understand that with the firmware that's installed (the last one, 9.1.0.13) I can schedule the SSIDs (de)activation rather than actually turning radio off, isn't that so?

I'd need to actually turn radio off by schedule. Is it possible with this firmware? What if I  schedule off all the SSIDs? Would the radio turn off?

If not: would anyone advice to downgrade to the last firmware that allowed to schedule the whole radio emission on/off times? That's what I'm interested in. Would anyone know what the firmware version is?

I'd really really appreciate any help from the community

Thanks a lot

MrG

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Betreff: WAC510 radio emission scheduler: need to downgrade firmware?

@MrGralich wrote:

I'd need to actually turn radio off by schedule. Is it possible with this firmware? What if I  schedule off all the SSIDs? Would the radio turn off?

What for a "need" exactly?

The current Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point WAC510 User Manual does show on p.4 that with it's publication revision 202-11840-05 from February 2019:

"We removed Set up a WiFi on/off schedule for the radios, which is replaced by Disable or enable a WiFi network or set up a WiFi activity schedule on page 54."

Try your luck to find the firmware which introduced this change late 2018/early 2019 under https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WAC510.aspx#download -> View previous versions ... review the downloads, check the release notes visible under the download, or try your best luck putting up older firmware.

Either way, with all SSID disabled (so no longer on air - not just "hidden") there won't be any announcement for any network on air. So why bother?

Message 2 of 4
MrGralich
Aspirant

Hi schumaku and thanks for having taken the time to answer. My point is that I want the device to stop radio emissions in scheduled hours for health reasons, given the fact that I'll have a toddler in the premises in a short time 🙂

But I don't want to switch the whole thing off by disconnecting the POE cable because I have another ethernet cable connected...

Once that I've possibly found the right firmware, do you see any harm in downgrading?

Or:

Would you advice to substitute this device with another Netgear access point with the precise feature I need? This WAC510 is probably an overkill for my other needs and I can still have a refund...

Thanks a lot

MrG

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Toddler will request WiFi access soon - won't be that long. Issues will shift to a different topic soon.

What should the access point emit if there is no (or are no) SSIDs (BSSID) on air? It will not send "Hey here is your YXZ network", then "Hey here is your Guest network"  into the air so no client will assign to it. It's a digital system, just sending if there is something to do... 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements