× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 vs WAC540 for home install

lrivers
Star

WAC510 vs WAC540 for home install

I'm trying to decide between WAC510 and WAC540 in my home and hoping somene could provide some clarity.  I believe they both meet my speed requirements and should be able to easily handle everything we will be using: For now 4 or 5 ipads/phones/laptops worse case watching movies from local plex server or streaming netflix, copying files from/to servers, and a bunch of home automation switches, plugs, etc.  

I only really have 2 questions I don't have the answer to:

1. On the comparisons for range it's good, better, best for the WAC505, WAC510, and WAC540 respectively.  That doesn't tell really give me any kind of information.  Is the difference in range a foot, 10 feet, etc?   (I realize walls, building material affect the range)

Which prompts the question do I need 5 WAC510's to cover the same area 2 WAC540 could cover? 

It's hard to make a cost comparison between them without knowing.  Anybody know?

2. The main difference I see is the 540 looks to have 3 radios instead of 2 and MIMO stuff is 4x4 and 2x2 instead of just 2x2. The 540 has more copacity as well but being in a household that's not really a concern I have. Are there are features that are significant?

Should I pay a bit more to "future proof" or are they close enough performance/spec wise that they are somewhat equal is this respect?

If there are other things I am not considering, please let me know.

Thanks!

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@lrivers wrote:

I am confused by what you are referring to when you say "a mode most 2.4 GHz clients can't take an advantage of at all" ?  Because of the minimal boost in performance are you saying the WAC505 would be the better direction instead of the WAC510?

The 2.4 GHz 400 Mbit/s is a non-standard 802.11n 2x2 mode using 256-QAM, a mode not many clients are supporting. That's why I state the WAC505 with the 300 Mbit/s 802.1n 2x2 64-QAM is perfectly sufficient.

@lrivers wrote:

Since the range is not significantly different that means I'll need the same number of access points regardless of my choice...but you made me think about the "busy" areas around the house (ie. family gathered around). 

At the no so busy areas we have WAC505 (and some 510 - because these were around before the 505 became available) deployed, in the living room, the guest area, and the media room/office we have WAC540 in place. All nicely Insight managed btw.

@lrivers wrote:

I currently have 7 AP planned, I was going to use the same model everywhere, but I think I'll use a mix of WAC505/WAC510's and WAC540's, with the WAC540's in the busy area's.

No problem with mixing these WAC5xx - this is about the same set-up and mix I'm operating here at home as well as in some friends houses and public places.

Don't forget: You need a IEEE 802.3at PoE switch or you have to buy the optional AC/DC power supplies. I'm suggesting to look for a Insight GC model.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not fully sure why you are comparing the WAC510 and not the WAC505 - where the difference is just AC1200 vs. AC1300 and it's coming from 300Mbit/s (2.4GHz) + 867Mbit/s (5GHz) vs. 400Mbit/s (2.4GHz) + 867Mbit/s (5GHz) - in fact a mode most 2.4 GHz clients can't take an advantage of at all. The WAC505 is available in sets of three, of five, ... with an amazing price tag.

The allowed radio emitted power is limited by the regulations, the sensitivity of the receivers is similar - therefore, the practical coverage of the WAC5050/WAC510 and the WAC540 is very similar for the same channels.

The WAC540 does add a second 5 GHz radio, so there are 400 Mbit/s (2.4Ghz), 867 Mbit/s (Low 5GHz), 1733 Mbit/s (High 5GHz) - here it depends on what you want to achieve, and what your wireless clients are supporting. Many wireless clients are just 2x2 and/or can't exceed the 867Mbit/s link rate anyway. If you have capable clients, and need the higher throughput in general e.g for a NAS access, or if there is a place like a living room where all the family members and friends are enjoying the wireless (I'm just drawing the picture in my head - sorry) you might want to place one or some WAC540 where required. To get the full capacity, you need a switch supporting static LAG, as the throughput of the WAC540 can exceed the 1 Gb capacity, and you need obviously two network cables installed.

You always reach better results with installing multiple access points an operate these at reduced power levels then by installing a supposedly high-end high-power blah AP or router at a central location.

Message 2 of 5
lrivers
Star

Thanks for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I am confused by what you are referring to when you say "a mode most 2.4 GHz clients can't take an advantage of at all" ?  

Because of the minimal boost in performance are you saying the WAC505 would be the better direction instead of the WAC510?

Since the range is not significantly different that means I'll need the same number of access points regardless of my choice...but you made me think about the "busy" areas around the house (ie. family gathered around). 

I currently have 7 AP planned, I was going to use the same model everywhere, but I think I'll use a mix of WAC505/WAC510's and WAC540's, with the WAC540's in the busy area's.

From reading, there should not be an issue with having a mix...though if anyone has real-world experiences, would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@lrivers wrote:

I am confused by what you are referring to when you say "a mode most 2.4 GHz clients can't take an advantage of at all" ?  Because of the minimal boost in performance are you saying the WAC505 would be the better direction instead of the WAC510?

The 2.4 GHz 400 Mbit/s is a non-standard 802.11n 2x2 mode using 256-QAM, a mode not many clients are supporting. That's why I state the WAC505 with the 300 Mbit/s 802.1n 2x2 64-QAM is perfectly sufficient.

@lrivers wrote:

At the no so busy areas we have WAC505 (and some 510 - because these were around before the 505 became available) deployed, in the living room, the guest area, and the media room/office we have WAC540 in place. All nicely Insight managed btw.

@lrivers wrote:

No problem with mixing these WAC5xx - this is about the same set-up and mix I'm operating here at home as well as in some friends houses and public places.

Don't forget: You need a IEEE 802.3at PoE switch or you have to buy the optional AC/DC power supplies. I'm suggesting to look for a Insight GC model.

Message 4 of 5
lrivers
Star

Very good to know about 510...especially before rather than after the fact. 🙂

Always nice to have confirmation of a working setup, I think I will follow in your steps, I like the setup. 

I will be doing POE for the AP's, I am using POE where ever possible.  This is new construction so I was able to get everything prewired.

I don't think I will ever need both connections to the 540's, I can't imagine I will ever come close...but as I think about it, it may be worthwhile to have them run 2 to all the AP's while it's much cheaper and convient...irronically, the AP's were the only thing I had them do single runs.

I've set my sights on the GC752XP which should be able to easily handle everything I will be throwing at it.

Thanks again for the information and guidance, you have been very helpful.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements