× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC510 will not accept space character in passphrase

cosmolee
Aspirant

WAC510 will not accept space character in passphrase

WAC510, Firmware V1.5.3.7

My WAC510 will not accept a space character in the Passphrase.  This cannot be proper behavior right??

I'm configuring via the web-based GUI.  I go to Configuration > Wireless > Basic > SSID1 > WLAN Settings> Passphrase.  I've set Network Authentication to "WPA2-PSK", and Data Encryption to "AES". I've tried configuring the passphrase on two different WAC510 units with two very different computer configurations (Mac OSX w/ Safari browser and Chromebook w/ Chrome browser).  Neither of the two computers I tried could enter a space character into the passphrase on either of the WAC510 units.

This is bizarre.  I seem to be able to enter just about any other character on my keyboard, but not spaces.  Anybody able to enter spaces in their passphrases on this unit?  I can't very well give out a passphrase if it can contain spaces!

Model: WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your long call on this issue.

We have got this request from other customers(not through this community forum), So we would be supporting spaces in passphrase in future firmware releases.

I will update here once the firmware with this enhancement is available. Thank you!

Regards,

Sharan

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
cosmolee
Aspirant

Sorry:  "can contain spaces"  --> "can NOT contain spaces" 

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Cosmo Lee,

Thanks for reaching Netgear Community.

On firmware version v1.5.3.7, Spaces are not allowed in passphrase.

We have taken note of it and we are already working on it, You can expect this in our future firmware releases(tentatively in couple of weeks).

Regards,

Sharan

Model: WAC505|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point,WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 3 of 6
cosmolee
Aspirant

Do you actually work for Netgear?  I spent an hour on the phone with a Netgear technician on this issue, and he didn't find any information on this problem!  

Have you guys notated the bug anywhere so people could find out about it?  

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your long call on this issue.

We have got this request from other customers(not through this community forum), So we would be supporting spaces in passphrase in future firmware releases.

I will update here once the firmware with this enhancement is available. Thank you!

Regards,

Sharan

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Cosmo Lee,

The new firmware update(v3.1.0.12) is avaialable with 'space' character support in passphrase.

Please upgrade your Access Point, Refer Page 111 for different firmware upgrade methods @ http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC510/WAC510_UM_EN.pdf

Firmware link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC505/WAC505-510_V3.1.0.12_firmware.tar

Thanks for choosing Netgear.

Regards,

Sharan

Model: WAC505|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point,WAC510|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Wireless Access Point
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements