× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC540 Power cycling automatically and randomly

module12
Apprentice

WAC540 Power cycling automatically and randomly

Hi,

I have 2x WAC540's in Bridge Mode on the 5GHz band. One of them keeps randomly power-cycling (sometimes multiple times a day) and when it comes back up you get the red alert in the notification popup.

I'm not sure where to look to determine what's causing it. It's powered by POE switch. The other AP is also POE but doesn't have an issue. Both POE switches are exactly the same model.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
module12
Apprentice

Re: WAC540 Power cycling automatically and randomly

PS: I've seen other threads on here;

one which suggested disabling RRM. I don't use Band Steering

one which suggested a FW update + factory reset + reconfigure - the one that is having this issue is the non-cabled side of the LAN so if I factory reset it remotely I won't be able to reconfigure it. Have to go to site to do this

Message 2 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@module12  Please check the power budget on the switch where you are seeing power recycle is happening for WAC540? What is the model of the switch ? 

Message 3 of 7
module12
Apprentice

Hi

Thanks for the reply @RaghuHR 

As mentioned in the first post, both APs are connected to the same model PoE switch (but different switches) and only 1 AP has this problem.

The switch is a TP-LINK TL-SG1008P (PoE+). This claims 30W per port with a max budget of 64W across all 4 PoE ports. I have no other PoE devices connected, in fact I have no other devices connected to the other 3 PoE ports. This switch has 2 LEDs for the PoE ports; 1 for power and 1 for data.

The NETGEAR docs claim the WAC540 requires 25.5W so that should all be good.

I am now sat in front of the problem AP and its switch and after a factory reset, the problem still exists. I can see from the switch that when I observe the AP rebooting, the power LED remains on but it is actually the data LED that goes out for tens of seconds > comes back on for a few seconds > goes off for a few seconds > comes back on and stays on. During this time I cannot ping the AP. And when it comes back up I have to login to the AP again, and have a "Reboot reason - unknown" notification.

So far it has "power cycled" 4 times in about a hour. But I'm not sure power cycling is the right thing to say now since the power LED on the switch never goes out.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7
module12
Apprentice

Swapped the switches around and the problem still exists. The AP must be faulty so will RMA it.

Message 5 of 7
paanjii2
Aspirant

Got a WAC540 had it configured and shipped out in under an hour. ... 2.4Ghz - one network with HT20 and Auto on both strength and channel selection, 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@module12 wrote:

The NETGEAR docs claim the WAC540 requires 25.5W so that should all be good.

FWIW

PoE+ does 802.3at does define the appropriate voltage range at the PSE (the PoE switch) and the power available PD (the powered device after wire loss),

To get the math correct (I understand there is currently just one PD), the 25.5 W at the PD does require 30 W at the PSE, so deducting 30W from the max power budget available on the switch for PoE.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements