× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC540 ca. 5 Minute Delay on First Connection till PING start working

Robert83
Aspirant

WAC540 ca. 5 Minute Delay on First Connection till PING start working

Dear Community,

I have 2 WAC540 , both are configured for 5L and 5H only .

Here I have "default" values :

Wireless Mode : 11ac

Output Power : 100%

MCSI Index/ Data Rate : Best

Guard Interval : Auto

Channel Width : Dynamic 20/40/80 Mhz

Channel : Auto

One of the Units is in Production , and one in my Office ( I am testing right now ) . Both are configured same.

The Office unit connects imediately and ping functions imediatelly for both iPhone and Android Phone .

The Production unit connects imediately with a Excelent Signal Strength and 400Mbps+ , but for some reason it takes every

time 5 Minutes for it to start pinging .

I have tried 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz same results with Production Unit . I also set both iPhone and Android phone to Manual IP just to make sure . But every time the same thing.

What I do not understand is , if this is cased by interference , then how come after I wait on the same spot for 5 minutes I have a perfect ping . The application which then functions on both iPhone and Android function perfectly.

Please help, I am out of ideas.

Regards Robert

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Robert83
Aspirant

Re: WAC540 ca. 5 Minute Delay on First Connection till PING start working

Hi vpk_kumar ,

thank you . Unfortunately I will have to wait till the weekend because the switch (in Office) is not a PoE switch , and I have only 1 Power Supply for the WAC540.

But I will try as you told me. I will :

1. Replace Office switch with PoE switch ( HP newer model ) .

2. Connect Office AP and another Production AP to the same switch , and try to roam .

Notice : I have googled yesterday and I found a post where some people where having the same problem with Wireless Roaming and MAC not beeing correctly updated .

Anyway if the above brings nothing , I have already devised a master plan 🙂 I will order 2x TPLink 5 Port POE "dumb" switches . And will connect the AP to it , and then connect the TP Link to the switch . And will label the Switch ( Bugfix 🙂 )

Regards

Robert

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
vpk_kumar
Aspirant

Hellp Robert,

Can you try to ping to AP Ip address from the wireless client and check if still take 5 minutes delay. If it is not taking 5 minutes, we need to suspect the path from Ap to other switches or gateway for the ping to travel. You can also use Ping feature in AP ( management->Diaganostic-> pingtest ) to check if you see same issue pinging from AP. 

-vpk

Message 2 of 8
Robert83
Aspirant

Hi vpk ,

thank you for the fast response. I just tried what you told me.

iPhone and Android simply pinging 192.168.0.202 (IP of AP) it worked instantly. Trying to ping 192.168.0.11 (IP) of Remote Computer ( Windows 10 ) 5 Minutes .

Also pinging from 192.168.0.202 the IP 192.168.0.11 works imediatelly, there are no drops .

There are also no drops from 192.168.0.11 to 192.168.0.202 .

To have the bigger picture both APs ( 192.168.0.203 and 192.168.0.202 ) are in a subnet with no gateway whatsoever ...

the Clients connecting them are all in the 192.168.0.x subrange. And the Server which then communicates with the Clients is also in the 192.168.0.x range . This is a Scanning Network .

Both APs are configured like this :

IP Address : 192.168.0.202 ( or 203 )

Subnetmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1 ( does not exists )

DNS 192.168.0.1 ( does not exists )

Secondyary DNS 8.8.4.4 ( not reachable )

I do not wish to reach the Wireless APs and Clients from anywhere except the Server . But I suppose this is not the problem because it works instantly on AP 203 which is in my Office .

Any ideas what now ?

TThank you Robert

Message 3 of 8
Robert83
Aspirant

Found the Offending switch! 🙂 But I don't know what on earth is wrong with it. It is not routing as far as I can tell, I also went trough all the switches widh show cdp neighbours to check if they are simple dumb switches and yes.

The offending swtich is a HP Procurve J9279A . I will replace it with a newer modell this weekend in the hopes that it might solve the problem. But I thought I'd ask here is there perhaps a magic switch which might be causing this ?

It looks like this :

I connect Office AP directly to this switch

Production AP is connected to another switch ( which is like this Dispatch Switch -> Midway Switch -> Offending Switch )

if I go to Production I have to wait 5 minutes until I am able ping anything other then the Production AP itself.

if I come back to the Office I have to wait 5 minutes until am ab able to ping anything other then the Office AP .

If the Office AP is connected to a cheap TP-Link switch which is then connected to this Offending Switch it works instantly. Sorry but WTF?

Is this perhaps some sort of ARP safety feature ...

Regards

Robert

Message 4 of 8
Robert83
Aspirant

UPDATE :

I have on all the Switches STP enable. So I did the same for the two APs . Unfortunately did not help.

I also tried what happens if I go back connect and start pinging then turn off device wait for 5-10 minutes. And turn it on again.

Strangely for both Office and Production if I connect once, and turn off wait and turn on it works instantly. Only if I go from AP Office to AP Production do I need to wait 5 minutes.

Message 5 of 8
vpk_kumar
Aspirant

hi Robert,

Is it that your issue can happen on both the Ap's after you move the wireless client from 1 Ap to another AP and each Ap is under different switch?

#try :  Will the issue happen if both the Ap's are under 1 switch( keep HP/Tplink at a time ) and remove the other switch from network.  Move the client from 1 Ap to another AP. 

Looks to be that the macadress of the client is not getting updated to the correct port of the the switch when you move the client to new Ap and hence packet wont reach to correct port. After the default aging time of 300secs , old entry for the client macaddress might be getting removed in switch table and then datapath resumes. Please check if you could isolate the isolate the issue with #try test. 

Message 6 of 8
Robert83
Aspirant

Hi vpk_kumar ,

thank you . Unfortunately I will have to wait till the weekend because the switch (in Office) is not a PoE switch , and I have only 1 Power Supply for the WAC540.

But I will try as you told me. I will :

1. Replace Office switch with PoE switch ( HP newer model ) .

2. Connect Office AP and another Production AP to the same switch , and try to roam .

Notice : I have googled yesterday and I found a post where some people where having the same problem with Wireless Roaming and MAC not beeing correctly updated .

Anyway if the above brings nothing , I have already devised a master plan 🙂 I will order 2x TPLink 5 Port POE "dumb" switches . And will connect the AP to it , and then connect the TP Link to the switch . And will label the Switch ( Bugfix 🙂 )

Regards

Robert

Message 7 of 8
Robert83
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

I wanted to report that I have found the problem . It is the Switch 2510G-24 .

Today I made atleast 20 trips between office and production 🙂 . I have connected both AP-s to the same 2510G-24 and the delay was still there. I was about to give up then I thought I'd try it with the Server switch 2920-24G . And lo and behold it worked imediately !

All my other switches are 2910a-24G-POE , so I will replace this one last 2510G-24 with a E2910al-24G-POE on the weekend.

And problem solved.

Dang 🙂

Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements