WAC720 Ensemble: roaming & channel selection

dabacertia
Aspirant

WAC720 Ensemble: roaming & channel selection

Hello,

For a small network I ordered 3 WAC720. I will use the ensemble mode.
I need roaming, (I understood roaming is better with controller but no controller there), I've read fast roaming 802.11r available with CLI, ok, I also understood that fast roaming 802.11r is not as good as the seemless roaming of the controller.

My questions are about channel selection:

Is it better to let it be automatic for the 3 WAC720s or select channels manually?

Will the APs automaticaly take different channels and will they consider bands used by other networks in the building (not managed by me)?

Thanks for your feedback, experience share.

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 7
Arlene273
Aspirant

Re: WAC720 Ensemble: roaming & channel selection

Fixes wireless client connectivity issue when RADIUS based MAC authentication configured for the security profile. Fixes issue in AP sending proper serial number with bonjour enabled. Default system time modified as 1st June 2016 when NTP fails. Fixes Memory leak issue with captive portal enabled wireless network when managed from Business central. Fixes issues related to Product registration page redirection in Business central connected mode.
Message 2 of 7
dabacertia
Aspirant

Hello Arlene, I guess you had a copy/paste problem Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 7
dabacertia
Aspirant

(auto reply)

Strangely, when you create your Ensemble, all the APs take the same channel!? Do you have the same?

Other point, there is an option available "802.11K(RRM)". It is not yet Fast Roaming but that's what it is. Few months ago I saw articles explaining how to activate Fast Roaming with CLI but could not find it back... (help)

Any reaction/help/info/experience/feedback is welcome

Have a nice day

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 4 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dabacertia

We have seen in some cases all APs are in ensemble chooses same channel  but you can set staic channel for each of the APs. 

Regarding your question on roaming eventhough we have CLI to configure it but support is not yet there on the AP. 

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 7
dabacertia
Aspirant

Hello RaghuHR,

I do not understand what you mean when you say we have CLI to configure roaming but support is not yet there.

What kind of roaming can I configure with CLI?

What do you mean by "support is not yet there": do you mean it is working but not official, do you mean the command exist in the cli but is not effective... other meaning?

Thanks in advance for you help (sorry for my bad understanding, I'm not english speaking native)

D

Message 6 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dabacertia

I sent you PM. Please check.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies