× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC720 LOCKING UP

DCMData
Tutor

Last night I brought up one of my Linksys WAP.  I moved all android devices to it.  They are all Samsung something.  The Netgear WAC720 did not lock up all last night.  I will keep you all updated as to how it works from this point.

Message 26 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

Well last night it locked up once and had to reboot it.  There is not a single android device connected to it now.  Unless the ring door bell or garage door opener is android.  So it is not my Samsung clan causing my issue.

Message 27 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the details. We are actively working on this issue. Can please provide the model details of ring door bell  and  garage door opener?

Message 28 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

Well ring only makes 2 door bells right now, so there really is no model number, it is the standard not the pro, but the garage door opener is a liftmaster is a 8557W Elite Series opener.

Message 29 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you. Do you have the  console connected to AP? If yes please give the console output by executing these commands? Please execute these commands before you start test to till you hit the issue

echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
echo Y > /sys/module/printk/parameters/time

You need to redirect all the console log to to file and send it.

You can refer the folloing video how to redirect console out put to a file.

the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNNoP7tivQ

When hang happens did you tried hard  factory reset ? Was your AP responding for that? these are important data points for us debug further.

Thanks again.

Message 30 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

I don't have a console connected to the AP, but in my testing I did do a factory reset and reprogrammed from scratch.  Also in above I stated that I called support for this issue and they replaced the access point under warranty, so this is a different access point havig the same issue I had before.  I did a factory reset on both before re-programming them.  I did not restore a backup.

The AP is hanging on the ceiling, so I did not do a reset with the button because it is hard to reach, I just did a power reboot from the POE injector then went in and factory reset it.  I did not do it from the button.

I can try that next time if you like, it is working better and has only locked up once since I got all the Samsung devices off of it, None of which are an S7.

Message 31 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

Any updates, I only have the Garage Door opener, ring door bell and 2 asus laptops, hardly a load at all.  Since I got all the andriod devices off it only locks up about 1 time a day.

Message 32 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

When the issue happens are you able to ping the IP address of the WAC7xx AP? If yes can you please do the SSH to the AP and send us the following CLI command output?

dmesg  => copy the entire message in text file and send us

top    => you can send us  this command snapshot

Message 33 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

When it locks up I can do nothing but reset it...Can't ping, can't do anything.  Have to unplug the power to the POE injector and plug it back in.

Message 34 of 80
Larry-Compudata
Aspirant

I am glad I am not the only one having these issues. I have had 2 WAP 720's at a clients site having these exact same issues for over 6 months now. We havbe also engaged Netgear technical support (who I must say was not very helpful). We have updated firmare, reset to factory and reprogrammed them, moved them around in the offices to eliminate interference, changed channels and settings. Nothing everr works. Netgear also replaced one of the units which promptly had the same issues as the one it replaced. Sadly, we recommended these over the DLINK consumer grade WAP's and the dlink units had far fewer issues. 

During office meeting the units need to be power cycled 4-5 times in a 2 hour meeting. Neetings would have 20-40 people using WiFi. Other times 5-6 would use them and they would only need power cycling 1-2 times a week on average. We also originally set these up with POE, then through our testing even switched them to AC power. No change.

It got to the point the customer said fix this or we will find someone who can. I switched out the units with Ubiquiti WAP's and they no longer have any issue. 

We then put them in our office a few days ago and now we are having the issues. I have noticed the android phones having the most issues. My iphone 7 has had no issues. We are 50/50 for iphone/android. The android phones having the most issues appear to be Samsung, google, and LG. Motorola android phone is not having issues. 

I have lost all faith in the netgear line of products and I have a big 12 unit and controller deployment coming up which I may cancel and move to another vendor over these issues. We have sold netgear exclusively for 5 yrs now and since this issue started have not sold 1 netgear unit. We do not seem to have these issues with WNDAP360 units but do get complaints on week signals on android devices. 

This is a huge issue and needs to get resolved. Don't even think I am waisting any more of my time troubleshtoting this either. I likely have 40 man hours tied up in diagnostics for 1 client all which I have had to warranty to the end user and eat the costs. I have 2 expensive WAP's that are worthless!!

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 35 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

I understand bugs like this happen, I am confused as to why it is taking so long to fix, I know this thread is not that old, but I have seen reports of it going back to last year.  Mine have been doing this since the release of 3.6.12 fimware, seriously thinking about going back to 3.5.12 to see if that helps.  I switched my AP out to a linksys LAPAC2600 until they get this figured out and relaease a fix.  I have several WAC730's out there an none of them have shown this issue.  I still like netgear products, this is just a glitch, although it is a big one, at client sites I would have had no choice but to swap them out as well.  LIke I said the WAC730's have not had this issue so that is still a great product.  Not sure what is going on with the WAC720's, maybe Netgear should just replace ours with WAC730's, just a thought.  Thankfully I only have 1 in the field. 

Message 36 of 80
Larry-Compudata
Aspirant

I can tell you this bug has been around since we first deployed these models almost 1 yrs ago. I just escalated this way up the netgear chain to find a resolution to this. I had never posted in the forums before on this issue but I have searched for other users having this issue.

I usually call technical support and talk to a person (most customers can't wait for forum solutions). Technical support always said they have never seen this issue and this must be environmental. We even tackled environmental causes and even cyber attacks to see if that was the cause. 

I am hoping that this escalation will get this issue identified and fixed. Been a netgear partner for over 5 yrs now and this is the first real major issue I have had but I must say I should not have to call a regional manager to get this seriously looked at. Makes me wonder if the Netgear reps who resond to these posts pass on any of this info to an engineer. 

Message 37 of 80
redtech116
Aspirant

Started changing out the network cables to the AP's with a shielded cable..see if that makes any difference.

I know UBNT have some issue sometimes, and a sheilded cable seems to fix it..

Message 38 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

I was just pulling the plug, but discovered that it appears to disable the port on the switch - I can log into the switch and re-enable from there.

Message 39 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

Sadly it is affecting my 720 and 730 - I am dealing with it by switching the wifi off on the Samsung S7 - not ideal, but my access points work perfectly with the Samsung off!

Message 40 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

Oh - and I can replicate this problem at any time, (turn the Samsung on) so it should be capable of being fixed.

Message 41 of 80
Larry-Compudata
Aspirant

Well, just finished a remote session with Level 2 support. They looked at the 2 units I have at my shop. One older firmware, one the newest. Both having the same drop issues. The newer firware unit actually locks up when the dropped (DEAUTH) connections happen. 

This issue has now been put through to a sales engineer at Netgear to escalate to an engineer. I am sure this is a fixable issue but it means more of my time working with Netgear to get it fixed. Likely looking at another remote session and serial connection into the unit for them to run diagnostics and find the issues.

Idea of cable and stuff, yeah, non of that ever worked. Even changing to a different office location still failed. 

Still hopeful.

Message 42 of 80
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi All,

Sorry to hear the AP lock issue is ongoing. We will reach out to you individually to try gather more info on this problem. We are working to resolve this issue with priority to try provide a fix as soon as we can.

Thanks
DavidGo.

Message 43 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue. I have three WAC720's behind a Netgear Prosafe Managed Switch. The AP's were installed winter 2015 and had no issues until December 2016. A single AP will lock up, all LED's are steadily lit, cannot ping the AP, only a hard power cycle resolves the issue. I've updated all AP's to the latest firmware, this did not resolve the issue. I have replaced one of the AP's no resolution. All have been factory reset and re-configured multiple times. No other issue on the network at all.

Has anyone rolled back to an earlier firmware with any success?
Message 44 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi TylerSmelly,

Very sorry to hear your issues. We are actively working on this issue. Could you please let us know the following details ?

• Could you please send this CLI command out put?

bootenv -d pmon_ver

• How many wireless clients connected to WAC720? Need model details
  • Are you trying to connect 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz radio?
  • Does this issue happens on 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz radio?
  • Have you enabled captive portal or not?
  • Are you using AP in standalone mode or configured for ensemble?
  • Are you  seeing any random AP reboots or just hang?
  • What kind of traffic or application  are you running on the wireless clients?
  • Do you have the console connection so that we can have live debug when the issue happens.

Thanks

Raghu

Message 45 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

Could you please send this CLI command out put?
bootenv -d pmon_ver

Unfamiliar with this procedure and I'm not willing to experiment with it in a production environment

How many wireless clients connected to WAC720? Need model details
At last observed fault, two clients were connected. One iPad 2, one iPhone 6+
Are you trying to connect 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz radio?
I will accept either, both become unresponsive within the AP's range
Does this issue happens on 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz radio?
Both
Have you enabled captive portal or not?
No
Are you using AP in standalone mode or configured for ensemble?
Configured as an Ensemble. The ONLY config on the AP's are static Ensemble Id, Management IP, IP/primary host/subnet mask and SSID/Security
Are you seeing any random AP reboots or just hang?
Hangs
What kind of traffic or application are you running on the wireless clients?
The installation is in a bar. The wireless clients are utilizing third party apps for control of the sound system and television tuners. Although the issue is repeatable regardless of whether those are in use or not
Do you have the console connection so that we can have live debug when the issue happens.
I do not

This seems to be a well documented issue that is repeatable across countless installations, environments, and applications. I have used Cisco products for years without issues such as this. I have spent an incredible amount of unreimbursed time troubleshooting this issue and I will not be choosing Netgear for any installs in the future.

I understand your need for additional data to diagnose the issue. I will be glad to allow you supervised remote access to the system (it is sandboxed from any critical machines) in order to facilitate this.

Please advise
Message 46 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you TylerSmelley for the detailed response. By executing this command will not harm your production  environment or it will not be disturbed, It is just a command to see what is the boot loader version of your AP is running with. If you can do SSH to AP and send this command output would be great.

I hope your mac devices are with latest ios versions. If not share the ios versions of ipad 2 and iphone 6+

Our support team will reach you out to have a remote session to seek your appointment. BTW what is your timezone?

In the meantime please share your AP configurations.

BR

Raghu

Message 47 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

I understand the benign command, I'm absolutely unversed in how to employ it. And while I appreciate the innocuous and probably simple procedure required, I've exhausted all the time that I have to exhaust in troubleshooting this. Once I realized the scope of the issue, I made the decision to pull Netgear from our approved vendor list. We are an A/V company, providing A/V services. Yes, we can handle basic IT support, (and I would consider CLI commands basic under this usage) but given the length of time that the problem has existed and my unfamiliarity with Netgear's (or any switchgear provider's CLI commands) I am not considering investing any further time at this point.

The iPad is fully current. iPhone is on 10.2.

I'm at a loss for understanding what the IOS version has to do with a total and complete loss of accessibility of the AP. If the inverse where true, what would the reaction be? Oh, an Apple client connected to a Netgear AP and all Netgear devices world over shut down. Let's take a look at the log files and try to determine what iOS version they were running.

I'm not staying that a certain iOS or Manufacturer's hardware isn't a trigger for the failure. What I'm stating is that it is abolutely absurd for Netgear in 2017 to be unable to deliver hardware that is compatible with any such device. An Apple device and a Netgear device have a problem. Guess who is to blame? Who has fewer devices????

Appreciate the attempts at troubleshooting the issue but these AP's are going back to Netgear. I'll spend new money on a new AP. Our client will spend less on that route than paying us to troubleshoot a failed WAC720 with various iOS/Samsung builds.
Message 48 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

I have downgraded my to 3.5.6 and it has not locked up once since then, that was 3 days ago.  I will keep everyone posted.  Since mine is a pretty basic setup with only 1 ap I thought I would try it.  So far so good.

Message 49 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

Spoke too soon...this piece just locked up....So going backwards helps nothing....

Message 50 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 79 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements