× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC720 LOCKING UP

TylerSmelley
Aspirant

Thanks. I have an open ticket with Support. I've installed a Syslog Server on the network, and they've asked me to try configuring each AP individually with unique SSID's - they're currently deployed as an ensemble. Ensemble ability is one of the reasons that I selected this model so I hope it's easily patched if that resolves the issue.
Message 51 of 80
ZenOne
Aspirant

And I also have the same issue!

Three WAC720's in Ensemble mode at a client location. Connect to Cisco POE switch. Version 3.6.12.0 on all three.

Exactly the SAME symptoms as described by everyone else. One or more of the AP's will become completely unresponsive with the only way to recover is turning off power from the switch.

After powering back up the AP's also reverts back to 3.1.5.0!!

Extremely dissapointed in the quality of this product especially after many years of recommending and selling Netgear products.

A Business class product should NEVER have made it through Q/A with this glaring of a bug!

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 52 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ZenOne

Can you please SSH to your AP and get these CLI outputs for us?

bootenv -d pmon_ver

get system

Thanks

Raghu

Message 53 of 80
ZenOne
Aspirant

I can only SSH to two of the three AP's for some reason.

ABE03# bootenv -d pmon_ver
U-Boot 2012.10.esdk.7.netgear.8-00027-g9eab2d1-dirty
ABE03# get system
Property                                 Value
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
model                                    Netgear Wireless Infrastructure Platform Reference AP
version                                  3.6.12.0
productid                                WAC720
altversion                               3.1.5.0
uptime                                   7 days, 1 hours, 41 minutes
system-time                              Fri Dec 31 1999 12:00:00 PST
time-zone                                USA (Central)
enable-dst                               off
dst-start                                March.Second.Sunday/02:00
dst-end                                  November.First.Sunday/02:00
dst-offset                               60
region-info                              1
prodregtimestamp                         1
power-source
base-mac                                 dc:ef:09:90:fe:4f
serial-number                            4D825AE0000E1
system-name                              ABE03
system-contact                           admin@netgear.com
system-location                          Netgear Lab
wpa-personal-key-min-complexity-support  off
password-min-complexity-support          off
cloud-controller
cloud-controller-status                  down
cloud-management-enabled                 no
cloud-activation-status                  down
ABE03#

ABE02# bootenv -d pmon_ver
U-Boot 2012.10.esdk.7.netgear.8-00027-g9eab2d1-dirty
ABE02# get system
Property                                 Value
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
model                                    Netgear Wireless Infrastructure Platform Reference AP
version                                  3.6.12.0
productid                                WAC720
altversion                               3.6.12.0
uptime                                   0 days, 0 hours, 5 minutes
system-time                              Tue Apr  4 2017 01:38:10 CST6

time-zone                                USA (Central)
enable-dst                               off
dst-start                                March.Second.Sunday/02:00
dst-end                                  November.First.Sunday/02:00
dst-offset                               60
region-info                              1
prodregtimestamp                         2
power-source
base-mac                                 dc:ef:09:91:01:0f
serial-number                            4D825AEK00129
system-name                              ABE02
system-contact                           admin@netgear.com
system-location                          Netgear Lab
wpa-personal-key-min-complexity-support  off
password-min-complexity-support          off
cloud-controller
cloud-controller-status
cloud-management-enabled                 no
cloud-activation-status

Message 54 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

On a positive note, at least Netgear hasn't recommended that we try to enable Cloud Management as a possible resolution...

I'm still planning to follow the request of my Support tech and reconfigure my AP's in standalone mode - in the interim I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if it has helped at all... it's going to take me a few days until I have a few minutes to do that...
Message 55 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

Standalone didn't help me - I have had continuous uptime for several weeks though by keeping all Samsung off the AP.
Message 56 of 80
ZenOne
Aspirant

@netgear what is the status and ETA of a fix for this issue?

We need to buy more AP's and need to decide on moving to other vendors if Netgear cannot fix this issue in timely fashion.

Message 57 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

FWIW we haven't had a lock up since I removed the AP's from Ensemble Mode and assigned them unique SSIDs. I've also purposely added three Samsung devices to rule that out - it doesn't seem to be causing a problem in my environment.

I'm monitoring the Syslog and waiting for a phone call letting me know the issue is back - the question for us is how long to we wait before pulling the devices and replacing them with something more stable.
Message 58 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

I have been working with Netgear support and they have given me a beta build that so far has fixed my problem, not a single lockup since I updated it last Friday.  They are willing to give it to anyone else that wants to test it.

Message 59 of 80
ratherman
Tutor

Support - how do we go about getting the beta?

Thanks,

John Rather

Model: WG102|ProSafe 54Mbps Access Point
Message 60 of 80
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi John,

I'll send you a PM shortly and we'll get the firmware to you.

@ rest of affected users, anyone else who would like to try the beta firmware, please PM me or comment here and we will provide the firmware.

Thanks

DavidGo

Message 61 of 80
Larry-Compudata
Aspirant

I would certainly like the beta firmware. I have 2 usless units here I need to deal with. 

Larry

Message 62 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

I want!

Thanks
Message 63 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

One for me too please!
Message 64 of 80
ZenOne
Aspirant

Yes, I would also like to try the beta.
@DCMData can you confirm that you have been testing in Ensemble mode or just as standalone APs?
Thanks!
Message 65 of 80
DCMData
Tutor

Mine are all in standalone mode....

Message 66 of 80
DeNeil
Aspirant

Mine too
Message 67 of 80
ZenOne
Aspirant

Hoping the beta will work for Ensemble mode also, since that was the primary reason for going with the WAC720's

Message 68 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

Ditto on that
Message 69 of 80
TylerSmelley
Aspirant

Ok I have an update and it is not a happy one - and for those keeping up with this thread, I'll lead off with this: I haven't yet installed the new beta firmware. I suspect that I will end up installing it because I've tried everything else under the sun to resolve this issue. But my confidence level in its ability to resolve this issue is quite low.

I have an open support ticket with a level two tech support agent, and I've also culled some information from a Reddit thread. Please pardon the repetition here. I want to be able to immediately send this text as an update to my ticket and also update the Reddit post.

Here is the issue that I am having: total connectivity loss on WAC720 access points. This means that clients cannot connect to the WAP via wifi nor can I ping the device via its static IP nor can I login to its web GUI. This has been well documented by others. When this occurs, all LEDs on the device turn solid. The only resolution for me and others is to power cycle the device. This began to occur for my client approximately three to four months ago. I have since replaced one WAP, verified wiring, factory reset each WAP, removed the Ensemble configuration, configured a unique SSID for each 2.4 and 5 ghz station, upgraded firmware, etc. the issues only present themselves over the wifi network associated with the WAC720s. No other device or client on the network is affected in any way at any time. Per advice on this thread, I have removed all Samsung devices from the network, and then intentionally added them back in. I've had no issues with Samsung devices for serveral days. Today, with zero Samsung devices on the network, two WAP's exhibited the lock-up that we have all been experiencing.

This is where I am at:
I've done everything that my tier two support agent has asked of me, no resolution. We had thought that removing the devices from ensemble mode and assigning unique SSID's would at least provide a data point for the technicians should it fail again, but they've released a new beta firmware without awaiting those results

From those that have tested the new beta firmware, I understand that you too have removed the devices from Ensemble Mode and are running in standalone, and many of you selected this WAP precisely for the ability to run them in ensemble.

I have installed a Syslog server, no one from support here or through my support ticket has requested any logs from it. No one has requested any configuration files, though I have offered them to both groups.

I'm very very very close to replacing these access points and calling it quits with Netgear as a whole.

Here is what would prevent that:

I think it is reasonable for your agents handling open support tickets to monitor and be aware of ongoing issues reported in these threads and for your agents on both ends to work collaboratively towards a solution. I shouldn't need to inform my level two agent that I've just recieved a beta firmware from a level three agent when I've been posting on this thread for a week or more.

I need to see a full resolution in place, or an admission that a full resolution isn't possible at this time, a reason why, and a timetable to expect a resolution (this refers to Ensemble Mode working as advertised).

Lastly I need to see some evidence of other users successfully deploying the beta firmware in an Ensemble environment.

I respectfully ask that those of you on these forums review my experience along with others and let me know if my expectations are out of line. We are all experiencing issues, and we have all done our part to troubleshoot them. I'm running short of patience with this and I'm sure that there are others at the same point.

Kind regards to all,

Tyler
Message 70 of 80
doncessna
Aspirant

Having lock up issues as well.  I have three WAC720s in Ensemble mode.  Firmware version 3.6.12.0.

The problem started when I brought home my new Moto Z Force Droid.  I am connecting to the network using the 5Ghz band.  The only time the WAC720s lock up is when the Motorola phone connects to the network.  All the lights go solid when the lockup occurs.  In a few cases all the LEDs were solid except for the 2.4Ghz LED, it was off.  After two of the WAC720s drop out the single remaining AP seems to work just fine.  The network I have usually serves 10 - 20 wireless clients.

I've seen some workarounds by going to stand alone mode.  I agree with Tyler, that isn't what I paid for.  I was sold on the Ensemble mode which is why I purchased these units.

I would also be interested in the Beta firmware,  Maybe I missed something, but does the Ensemble mode work?

Thanks,

Don

Message 71 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Don

We appologize for the issue that you are facing. By any chance are you using captive portal feature?  If possible please share you AP config. Are there any possiblitiy that you have console connected to WAC720 to share additional info for us?

We have the beta firmware which resolved other community user here received. You can use that and share your feedback. Please reach our support team to get the beta firmware .

Thanks

Raghu

Message 72 of 80
doncessna
Aspirant

Raghu,

I spoke to the support team and downloaded the beta firmware a couple of days ago.  I haven't installed it yet.  Before updating, I can log into the APs via SSH and perform some diagnostics if you'd like.  Let me know what commands and data you would like to see.

-Don

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 73 of 80
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Don

You can run the following command and share the output

bootenv -d pmon_ver

By any chance do you have console connected to the AP? If yes then I will send set of commands to run after you upgrade.

Suggest you to do factory defaults after this new beta firmware install and start fresh. 

Thanks

Raghu

Message 74 of 80
doncessna
Aspirant

Raghu,

Here is the output for the 3 APs:

TeamDC-WAP1# bootenv -d pmon_ver
U-Boot 2012.10.esdk.7.netgear.10-00027-g9eab2d1-dirty

TeamDC-WAP2# bootenv -d pmon_ver

TeamDC-WAP3# bootenv -d pmon_ver

I don't have the console connected to any of the APs.  I have easy access to one of the APs to do this.  I was looking in the manual and it looks like a serial connecdtion via the Console RJ45 port?

-Don

Message 75 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 79 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements