× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC720 STILL LOCKING UP - FIRMWARE 3.7.11.0

PatPend
Aspirant

WAC720 STILL LOCKING UP - FIRMWARE 3.7.11.0

I have two WAC720 access points configured in ensemble mode that are locking up hard and require a power cycle to regain connectivity.  Both access points are powered by POE and connected via CAT6 to a Netgear GS728TP.  Both are running latest firmware 3.7.11.0.  This is the same issue described in this thread which marks this issue solved but it is not solved at my site.  Planning to roll out three more WAC720s at this site but cannot until this gets resolved.  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
PatPend
Aspirant

Beta firmware is installed on both WAC720s and a factory reset on both was done afterward per instructions.  Since I had to reconfigure from scratch the new configuration may not be 100% exactly as it was before, and I haven't reconfigured the captive portal yet.  No issues in the 12 hours since the upgrade.  Typically one or both units would lock up within a day to a week, so I'll continue to observe and advise.  Thanks for the  swift response.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Russell 

Welcome to the Netgear Community. Do you have console connected to those WAC720's by any chance? We need to check the console prints in locking condition. 

Thanks

Raghu

Message 2 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

They are both mounted on high ceilings and connected over Ethernet only.   I would get a ladder and hook up the console port but I have no VT100 or ANSI terminals and no computer with an RJ45 serial port.   Would enabling remote console SSH or telnet work?

Message 3 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Unfortunately SSH wont help in this case. We have some potential fix for this kind of issue. Are you willing to install?

Thanks

Raghu

Message 4 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

Yes I am happy install a potential fix.  Awaiting your further instructions.

Message 5 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks. Our support team will reach you for further formalities.

Best regards

Raghu

Message 6 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

Thanks Raghu.  Any idea of the timeline?

Message 7 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

I have sent you a private message regarding the Non Disclosure Agreement about the potential fix that @RaghuHR has mentioned to you.  I will be waiting for your reply.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

I got your private message and already replied to it with the download link to the beta firmware for the WAC720.  Kindly follow the directions indicated in my reply.  Let us know your observations here on this forum thread.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

Beta firmware is installed on both WAC720s and a factory reset on both was done afterward per instructions.  Since I had to reconfigure from scratch the new configuration may not be 100% exactly as it was before, and I haven't reconfigured the captive portal yet.  No issues in the 12 hours since the upgrade.  Typically one or both units would lock up within a day to a week, so I'll continue to observe and advise.  Thanks for the  swift response.

Message 10 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Did the beta firmware help?  Let us know your observations.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

So far so good.  Both 720s still up and running smoothly.  This weekend I'll re-configure the guest captive portal and continue to observe.  Thanks for the follow-up.

Message 12 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

Just following up again.  Were you able to reconfigure the guest captive portal?  If yes, are both WAC720 access points still working fine using the beta firmware?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

Hi Dane, today I configured the captive portal.  I'll keep you posted if any issues surface.  Otherwise, so far so good, the WAC720s have not locked up and and wireless speeds feel faster (although I have no hard evidence ofther than subjective feel).  Thank you, Russell

Message 14 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

Thanks for the update.  I'm happy to know that the WAC720 APs have not locked up and the wireless connection is just fine. 🙂 

Since it seemed that the beta firmware solved the problem, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community will look forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 18
PatPend
Aspirant

I just received the security update alert.  Can I safely upgrade from the beta firmware I received to the latest 3.7.12.0 without issue?  And is a factory reset + full reconfiguration required? Thanks again for all your help.

Message 16 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

Yes, you can upgrade the firmware from the beta firmware to the latest v3.7.12.0.  It would be best to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 18
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PatPend,

I just want to follow-up.  Were you able to upgrade the firmware of the WAC720 to the latest v3.7.12.0 then perform a factory reset and reconfigure the access point from scratch?  If yes, let us know your observation. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements