× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC720 and WC7500 over site-to-site VPN

JCC83
Aspirant

WAC720 and WC7500 over site-to-site VPN

Trying to setup WAC720s across a site to site vpn from the WC7500.  The guide says you have to preprovision the WAC720s to get them to work across a vpn, but does not explain what is meant by that.  As this is a remote site traveling back and forth is not ideal so rather this work right from the start.  As of now I joined the new WAC720s to the controller locally, and then changed the IP, Gateway, and vlan information to the remote site which caused them to loose connection locally.  Should anything else have been done?  I would of liked to have hardcoded the address of WC7500 to the APs, but did not see a way to do that.   

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JCC83
Aspirant

Was able to get this up an working with no issues.  The WC7500 documentation calling for using DHCP option 43 or preprovisioning the APs was a little missleading.  The APs were not able to update their firmware over the VPN (kept timing out around 20%) even though the connection was good enough that I could download the firmware needed from the controller from my PC in a matter of seconds.  Upgraded the APs from my local PC, and went ahead and put the IP of controller in as well.  I guess had I "preprovisioned" the APs with the right firmware by connecting them to the controller then they may have connected right away or just required me to login to the AP and add the IP of the controller.  Either way the documentation saying preprovision was required and reccomending DHCP option 43 were not actual steps needed. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Welcome to the netgear community.

Here is the steps you can follow to manage the WAC720s across the site-to-site VPN.

Option1 

1.Discover the AP from Discovery wizard

2.From the discovered AP list change "local" to "Remote" from the drop down list of "Site" option

3.Then add AP to the controller.

4. Now the AP will be managed by the controller in the local site.

Below steps to modify ip address as per remote site2.

4.Login to AP, Modify the ip address, Gateway and VLAN Configuration as per site2 requirement

5.Once after modifying the configuration, remove the APs from the local site and put them in the remote site2.

6.Once you place the APs in the remote site2, make sure AP is getting the IP and they are able to reach the controller and gateway.

7.If the AP are able to reach the controller then they will automatically come to the connected state in controller.

thanks,

laxman.

Message 2 of 4
JCC83
Aspirant

Was able to get this up an working with no issues.  The WC7500 documentation calling for using DHCP option 43 or preprovisioning the APs was a little missleading.  The APs were not able to update their firmware over the VPN (kept timing out around 20%) even though the connection was good enough that I could download the firmware needed from the controller from my PC in a matter of seconds.  Upgraded the APs from my local PC, and went ahead and put the IP of controller in as well.  I guess had I "preprovisioned" the APs with the right firmware by connecting them to the controller then they may have connected right away or just required me to login to the AP and add the IP of the controller.  Either way the documentation saying preprovision was required and reccomending DHCP option 43 were not actual steps needed. 

Message 3 of 4
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements