× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC720 bricked/continuous firmware update loop following firmware upgrade?

bitmadmax
Aspirant

WAC720 bricked/continuous firmware update loop following firmware upgrade?

We have a few WAC720 AP's controlled by a WC7600v1 Wireless controller. The other day I updated the firmware on the controller to the latest firmware 6.5.3.1 (after upgradign via migration firmware first) after reading about the WPA2 vulnerability. After upgrading both controller partitions I discovered that one AP then became stuck in what appears to be continious upgrade loop. (The controller states "firmware upgrade in progress" for that particular AP)

So far I have:

1) Removed the AP from the Controller via the AP Management in the Controller.

2) Performed a hard reset to the AP (holding button down for 10/15seconds)

3) assured that it was not cable related by patching direlctly to a POE Switch with known good patch,

4) restarted the AP - The loop Continues, Once they start this process we can still login via http, but the AP restarts itself periodically.

I have tried converting the AP to standalone mode multiple times by setting up a TFTP with the standalone firmware file (WAC720_WAC730_V3.8.3.0.tar), the AP takes the file, says it is installing but when I login to the AP over the web it is still showing the old managed "thin" firmare 5.5.1.4.

I have tried re-adding the AP to the controller but it ends up in the same reboot loop once it is discovered and managed again.

The state of the AP LED's:

power - flashing amber

activity - flashing green

network/lan: solid green

Thoughts, has anyone found a work arround for this AP? It is under prosafe warranty but hoping I can fix it without RMA'ing.

Thanks 🙂

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAC720 bricked/continuous firmware update loop following firmware upgrade?

@bitmadmax,

I found out that you have opened a chat case with NETGEAR Support and a replacement for your WAC720 was processed.  Let us know if the replacement WAC720 you will receive is all working fine.  

Keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bitmadmax,

Since it is still the same problem after you have tried several troubleshooting steps, it would be best that you open a chat or online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime for further assistance.  If ever the WAC720 AP is declared faulty, be ready to submit a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the WAC720 for warranty verification.  Then, if ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bitmadmax,

I found out that you have opened a chat case with NETGEAR Support and a replacement for your WAC720 was processed.  Let us know if the replacement WAC720 you will receive is all working fine.  

Keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
bitmadmax
Aspirant

Hi @DaneA

Thank you for your assistance. You are correct, it seems the only solution to this particular problem is RMA equipment. Thank goodness for Prosafe lifetime warranty Smiley Very Happy

Really pleased with the RMA service though, the replacement shipped on the same day they received the faulty unit and I only opted for the standard RMA service.

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements