× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC720 connection issues

Arctic_Hare
Tutor

WAC720 connection issues

I have a single WAC720 (latest firmware 3.9.1.13) that normally has approximately 20 devices connected to it (split between the two bands). I am having problems with one device on the 2.4 GHz band. The device will work fine for a period of time (e.g. about two weeks) and then the device has difficulty connecting/passing data. The device is a WiFi connected remote control so there is limited information available on the device itself (I can see RSSI and it is excellent - typically ~50 dB). When the device acts up it is either not connecting or having some other issue passing data, which presents as a spinning wheel (waiting) or various connectivity/loading error messages. Once the issue is present, the issue will remain present until the WAP720 is rebooted. I am not aware of any other devices that have issues connecting or passing data at any time on either band with the WAP720.

I have switched the guard interval to long and I'm using a 20MHz channel width.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting, isolating, and ultimately solving the problem.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

what actual device is it? 

Does rebooting the device fix it? 

Message 2 of 7
Arctic_Hare
Tutor

The device that is having an issue is the Control4 NEEO remote: https://www.control4.com/o/neeo/

Rebooting the NEEO Remote Controls absolutely does NOT fix the issue. The issue only goes away when I reboot the WAP.

If you are interested in reading about issues with the NEEO, you can review this thread, but I don't know that it is safe to assume that there is some general issue with the NEEO, especially since rebooting the C4 NEEO remote does not resolve the issue whatsoever: https://www.c4forums.com/forums/topic/41800-network-connectivity-issues-with-neeo-remtoe/

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Wow that device does have a lot of complaints on the forums about it. 

Plus if its the only device with issues, makes me a bit more focused on it. 

2 things you could try. 

1. did you try setting up a separate ssid for the neeo device to see if it'd have issues on a separate ssid? 

2. the only other thing I'd try is see if you have an old router sitting around. Or access point. If its an old router, set it up in access point mode and connect the neeo to that. See if it has issues on the other one. 

IoT devices can be a pita because the manufacturer doesn't always fix issues with them. i had one smart plug I threw away because it constantly took my network down. (suspected some weird loop issue). 

Message 4 of 7
Arctic_Hare
Tutor

Regarding suggestion #1: Can one adda second SSID on the 2.4 GHz band on the WAC720? I thought it would only use on SSID for 2.4 GHz and one SSID for 5 GH

Regarding suggestion #2: I am running such an experiment right now. I turned off the 2.4 GHz radio on the WAC720 and turned on the 2.4 GHz radio on my ISP router (using same SSID and PW); This is not ideal because the ISP router is much further away from the area where the remote is used, but it is still getting a RSSI of 57 - 67, so not too bad. It can take up to two weeks for the problem to present and I just started this experiment earlier today.

The NEEO costs the better part of a grand, so I won't be just throwing it away... sigh. FWIW, Control4 is retiring the NEEO and replacing it with the Halo Touch, which has 5 GHz capability... but, that is another $1,000.

Message 5 of 7
Arctic_Hare
Tutor

Is there some way to get help from someone who can guide me through configuring WireShark and is able to analyze the results to determine what is actually going on when the NEEO stops communicating. It seems that I've seen other forum users be able to submit such records to experts at Netgear, but I'm not sure how to go about getting that assistance. Or, would I have to renew my ProSupport contract for the WAC720? If I renewed my ProSupport contract would Netgear provide that level of assistance - taking a WireShark trace and analyzing it to find the root cause?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Sorry, I'm not a wireshark expert. Its pretty easy to use to capture packets but analyzing them is something else. Plus your issue only crops up every 2 weeks (ish). Tough to capture it all during that period. 

And not sure if paying for pro-support will help either as I have a feeling the issue isn't the router but something the Neeo is doing improperly. Doubtful that netgear will change their firmware because a different company is doing something sketchy in their setup. 

Might just be worth picking up a cheap wireless extender that you can connect the Neeo to and so whenever the neeo goes down, you reboot the extender (might be worth a shot). Probably quite a bit cheaper than paying for pro support. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements