× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC730: Cannot join more than two units in ensemble

dmoisan-satv
Aspirant

WAC730: Cannot join more than two units in ensemble

Hello,

Consider this scenario:

I have three WAC730 access points.  We'll call them AP1,AP2,AP3.  They are all on the same subnet, 172.20.0.0/24.  AP1 is 172.20.0.10, AP2 is 172.20.0.11, and AP3 is 172.20.0.12.

The ensemble management IP is 172.20.0.6.  All AP's are using the same ensemble name, in secure mode, with the same ensemble passsphrase.  AP1 is the master AP with priority 10, while AP2 and AP3 are priority 0.

All three AP's are on firmware 3.8.3.

In this scenario, I can join AP1 and AP2 together in ensemble mode.  But AP3 will not join the other two AP's.  When I try to join AP3, the other two members disappear and only AP3 shows up as an ensemble member.

When I disable ensemble mode on AP3, the previously configured ensemble of AP1 and AP2 comes back.

It's behaving as if there is a connection restriction, but the documentation mentions a limit of 10 APs, and we will only have 3 AP's at most.

What is happening?

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
dmoisan-satv
Aspirant

Make a note of this:

The subnet on the third access point was incorrect.  AP1 and AP2 were set to 255.255.255.0, the correct mask for my network.  AP3 was set to 255.255.0.0.

I changed AP3's subnet mask to match the other two access points, and tried rejoining AP3 to the existing ensemble.  AP3 has joined the ensemble and I can see all three AP's in the ensemble IP's management address (172.20.0.6, in my case.)

This matter is resolved.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi David Moisan,

Welcome to the Netgear community. Could you please help us by sharing the complete logs from monitoring page( use save option) and all 3 APs conigurations? We will take a look at those and update.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 5
dmoisan-satv
Aspirant

Make a note of this:

The subnet on the third access point was incorrect.  AP1 and AP2 were set to 255.255.255.0, the correct mask for my network.  AP3 was set to 255.255.0.0.

I changed AP3's subnet mask to match the other two access points, and tried rejoining AP3 to the existing ensemble.  AP3 has joined the ensemble and I can see all three AP's in the ensemble IP's management address (172.20.0.6, in my case.)

This matter is resolved.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@dmoisan-satv   Are you able to collect logs of all the APs and configurations?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 4 of 5
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Glad to know your updates. Feel free to reach us if you have any further questions. Happy to help you.

Please mark this thread close by accepting as solution.

Best,

Raghu

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements