× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC730 - Not power up

sschiang
Aspirant

WAC730 - Not power up

Our company brought a 3 pack of WAC730s, 2 of those were put into service sometime ago. I tried to put the third one in service but after connecting to a POE switch (as with the other 2), none of the LED comes on. Is there something that I am not doing? Help will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
sschiang
Aspirant

Re: WAC730 - Not power up

Hi David,

This turned out to be a 802.3af issue. The other two WAC730 work because they were connected to the only two af ports on the Meraki switch (I did not know the switch only comes with 2 af ports). Once the issue is identified, the fix is fairly straight forward, I think all I need is to get a POE af injector and that should do it. Thanks you for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi sschiang

Can you please reach our support team? They will help if there is a hardware issue.

Thanks

Raghu

Message 2 of 7
sschiang
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply. What will be the best way to contact the hardware team? As this is thru a corporate purchase, I do not have ready access to purchase record (it could still be under warranty). One more thing, the unit appears to work fine when I use a power adapter, the problem is, of course, where we are going to mount this have no power outlets.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

hi sschiang,

If the AP is powering up OK when using a power adapter, it sounds like the issue is related to either POE or the ethernet port on the WAC730. It could be a number of issues, here are some things to check;

1. Check a different ethernet cable, which is confirmed to power other POE devices successfully.

2. Connect the AP to a different port on the POE switch.

3. Check the POE budget of the switch. If there is already other POE devices being powered by this switch, it may not be able to provide sufficient power to power the additional AP. WAC730 requires 12.9 Watts of POE budget.

4. If the POE switch has management interface, check the Port status to see if there is any POE error. It could be POE type mis-match. WAC730 support  IEEE 802.3af POE.

5. Check the AP ethernet port. Power on the WAC730 using the external power adapter. Connect Ethernet cable from a switch to the AP, if there is no activity on the link LED's then most likely the AP Ethernet port is dead.

If the port is dead  the unit must be RMA'd. for RMA you would be required to provide proof of purchase. 

Let us know the outcome of checking these things and we can advise on the next steps

Thanks

DavidGo.

Message 4 of 7
sschiang
Aspirant

Hi David,

Greatly appreciate your detail reply and suggestions.I have tried most of your suggestions already: switch cables, switch port, connecting to different switch. None made any difference. The good news is the Ethernet port is fine, as when power up with an adapter, I can connect to the internet (via Wifi) when the Ethernet port is connected to a router.

One thing I have not check is whether the equipment used is 802.3af.

The thing that keeps coming back to me is this is one out of a 3 pack and the other two have already been deployed for sometime and have no problem whatsoever. As this is a relatively small operation, chances are the two working units are connected through the same switching equipment.

I will be doing some swapping tomorrow and report the result here.

Message 5 of 7
sschiang
Aspirant

Hi David,

This turned out to be a 802.3af issue. The other two WAC730 work because they were connected to the only two af ports on the Meraki switch (I did not know the switch only comes with 2 af ports). Once the issue is identified, the fix is fairly straight forward, I think all I need is to get a POE af injector and that should do it. Thanks you for the help.

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi sschiang,

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it, and glad we could help out.

Regards

DavidGo

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements