× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC730 can't change default PW & not found by WC7500

PatPend
Aspirant

WAC730 can't change default PW & not found by WC7500

Hi, I am trying to add a WAC730 as a controlled AP of my WC7500.  The WC currently controls 4 WAC720 and 1 WAC730.  I have plenty of licenses left and I am swapping out one of the 720's for the 730.  All the currently-working APs were discovered and added easily.  This WAC730 is giving me much trouble.

I factory reset the WAC730, however the WC7500 will not discover it.  The good news is it is getting a DHCP IP.  When I access the web UI it redirects to an HTTPS connection which causes a browser warning, then I can log in with default "admin/password".  However it immediately requires me to set a strong password, which I do, but then when I try to log in with the new password it fails.  I can log in again with default "admin/password" and the cycle repeats so I am effectively locked out the the AP.  If I try to SSH into the WAC730, I get "connection refused".  So it is not saving the new password.  The password is at least 8 upper and lower case letters and numbers (no special characters for now).

How can I 1) get the WC7500 to take control of this AP and 2) successfully change the PW on this AP?

The WAC730 is running fw ver: 3.9.1.13 and the WC7500 is at fw ver: 6.5.3.2

Thank you for any help.

Russell

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
PatPend
Aspirant

I ended up using the procedure presented at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/Recovering-WAC720-WAC730-access-point-via-the-con... to flash the firmware to 3.6.12, which in turn allowed the WAC730 to be discovered by the WC7500.  All is good!

Thank you for providing this forum!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
PatPend
Aspirant

I can add that after a hard reset, the IP address does NOT revert to 192.168.0.100, instead, the DHCP settings are retained and the AP gets assigned the same IP address.

Message 2 of 3
PatPend
Aspirant

I ended up using the procedure presented at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/Recovering-WAC720-WAC730-access-point-via-the-con... to flash the firmware to 3.6.12, which in turn allowed the WAC730 to be discovered by the WC7500.  All is good!

Thank you for providing this forum!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements