× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX 204 Radios

KSNelson1
Aspirant

WAX 204 Radios

I have installed a WAX204 Access Point.  It is up and running and seems to be working just fine - as intended.

However, during the installation process and later when I logged in to change the SSID through the routerlogin.net process, I noticed that 2 of the three radios are "Disabled."  I believe I also noticed this in the manual.

Why are they disabled?

Why does the AP have them?

How are they intended to be used?

Thank you in advance for your help in guiding me through this.  I have a fair amount of computer experience but little in the way of networks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

By default, the WAX204 only has 1 of the ssid's enabled (and the managment ssid). 

You can enable the other's if you prefer. 

It isn't that the wireless isn't working or its impacting performance. its because you can setup seperate ssid's for different things as well as isolate them with vlans if you prefer. Plus there's other settings you can use for each ssid like bandsteering, 2.4ghz/5ghz, security methods (in case you have some devices that don't support wpa3), etc. Business grade devices have a lot more features you can control/customize. 

so if you're a business, you could setup one for your point of sale systems, one for employees, and one for guests. And you could isolate them from each other so the guests couldn't access the point of sale systems data. (plus the other customizations as you'd prefer)

I've got the WAX218 and when I was using it, I had 1 ssid for my main devices, one for IoT devices, and one for guest networking. 

so its up to you how you use them. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

By default, the WAX204 only has 1 of the ssid's enabled (and the managment ssid). 

You can enable the other's if you prefer. 

It isn't that the wireless isn't working or its impacting performance. its because you can setup seperate ssid's for different things as well as isolate them with vlans if you prefer. Plus there's other settings you can use for each ssid like bandsteering, 2.4ghz/5ghz, security methods (in case you have some devices that don't support wpa3), etc. Business grade devices have a lot more features you can control/customize. 

so if you're a business, you could setup one for your point of sale systems, one for employees, and one for guests. And you could isolate them from each other so the guests couldn't access the point of sale systems data. (plus the other customizations as you'd prefer)

I've got the WAX218 and when I was using it, I had 1 ssid for my main devices, one for IoT devices, and one for guest networking. 

so its up to you how you use them. 

Message 2 of 3
KSNelson1
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.  I believe I was confused between 2.4g & 5g discussions and the radios.  I makes more sense when thought of as clientg/user isolation possibilities.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements