× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX202 rouge 2.4 GHz endpoint

nightowl2k2
Aspirant

WAX202 rouge 2.4 GHz endpoint

I have a couple WAX202 WiFi routers and in both cases I am seeing a rogue 2.4Ghz endpoint that shows up after a short amount of time  of the router being online.  I have seen this happen on 2 devices now and I am concerned that the router firmware was compromised in some way unless someone can explain what the rouge client is.  Here are the specifics I am seeing.  The device always shows up on the 2.4Ghz band and both routers were just configured after pulling them from the box.  They are both running the latest 1.0.5 firmware.  The device has an unknown MAC OUI and it does receive a DHCP address but it cannot be ping'd at all.  Also, the device still shows up if I change the WPA password on the router.  Now, it does not show up right away but does show up after a short amount of time.

My questions:

1) Has anyone else seen this?  If so, what were your experiences

2) Is this something part of the Netgear WAX202 firmware?  If so, what is it?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: WAX202 rouge 2.4 GHz endpoint

Are you using any ios devices? If so, disable icloud relay and private mac/ip address. 

Message 2 of 5
nightowl2k2
Aspirant

I am using IOS/Mac devices but my Mac is on the 5Ghz band and not on the 2.4Ghz band.  So, that part does not seem to make sense here.

Message 3 of 5
nightowl2k2
Aspirant

I can also disconnect my Mac and I still see an endpoint connected to the 2.4Ghz radio.  So that also clears the Mac Internet relay function.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

and you have no other mac/ios devices? 

Is bandsteering enabled on the WAX? if so, it might have been connected to the 2.4ghz. It doesn't drop off immediately. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements