× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX206 issues with Android 13 incompatibility?

danteoz
Aspirant

WAX206 issues with Android 13 incompatibility?

I bought a WAX206 to upgrade my wireless network from an old EX8000 Extender that keeps shutting down randomly. 

My network is basically, Surfboard modem -> Firewalla Purple -> Netgear GS308E switch -> WAX206 AP (formerly EX8000 Ext)

Set up in AP mode with static IP, no locked down settings different from old configuration. Initial signal strength and speed tests were great. Upgraded Firmware to 1.0.4.0

I have a Pixel 6 Pro (just got a 7 Pro as well). After a little while i noticed things like instagram would not load on my phone. Did all the troubleshooting steps: on WiFi, off WiFi, stop apps, clear cache, reinstall, reboot the phone, reboot the AP. Nothing seemed to get it to work while connected to this AP. At this point the Instagram app was my litmus test. When the phone was not connected to the WAX206 AP everything worked: on mobile, on other WiFi on the same network and even at work on the same device with no other change.

My old pixel 4 was not updated to Android 13 yet and everything worked fine. I don't use it regularly so it popped up with the 13 upgrade and I went ahead and ran it. Once it finished and restarted, suddenly apps don't work or are extremely slow. Weird. I have an old tablet running Android 7 (Asus zenpad z10) also never had an issue using WiFi.

Now I get my brand new Pixel 7 Pro, unbox it and start transferring from the 6 Pro and apps fail to install or take 15-20 minutes to download 50mb through the play store. What is going on? 

I factory reset the AP, set it up again and same thing. Laptop - Works fine, other laptop, works fine. Desktop wired in to Switch works fine. Instagram app on Windows works fine. Instagram website actually loads and works on all devices. 

Now at this point I have put the EX8000 Ext back in place and everything works. Pixel 7 Pro installed 130 apps in about 10 minutes vs none in an hour. Instagram app works no problem. 

So, What is up with this device? Why is Android 13 not working through this in AP mode? Anyone else had any interaction like this? I put the AP into a bypass group in the Firewall to unfettered access with no blocking going on (never recorded any blocks) in case it was something with the Firewall (was never a problem with previous device). 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
danteoz
Aspirant

Re: WAX206 issues with Android 13 incompatibility?

Ended up returning the WAX206 and bought a Ubiquiti U6 AP, set up in about 10 minutes and zero issues. Would not recommend the WAX206 as an AP for anyone unless whatever issues it has get worked out. This device has problems.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Curiosity question: Is the WAX206 WAN port (yellow) used to connect to the upstream switch/router?

Message 2 of 7
danteoz
Aspirant

Yup, Wan port to switch. 

There were no issues with speed or internet access on any other devices. Normal internet on the phones works fine. Just apps seem to have a miryad of issues on Adnroid 13 specifically.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@danteoz wrote:

Normal internet on the phones works fine. Just apps seem to have a miryad of issues on Adnroid 13 specifically.

Can't think of a major difference between an app or yet another app like a web browser, regardless of the Android version.

Message 4 of 7
danteoz
Aspirant

I agree, to my knowledge and 15+ years working in IT and home networks says there is no reason for this issue. At this point, with no other changes. I've put the EX8000 back into service, everything works. I set up the WAX206 with a separate SSID plugged into the same switch, different port, and if I switch to that SSID on my phones, I am unable to use some apps or perform updates. 

It's something specific to this AP that is somehow blocking google or social media services or something. I just can't see how.

Message 5 of 7
danteoz
Aspirant

another update to add.

I factory reset the AP again. Plugged it in and ran it in Router mode for a little while. I wouldn't normally do this as I currently have the firewalla set up as the router and dhcp/dns server. I connected to the out of the box SSID from the WAX206 and suprisingly everything worked. 

I let it go for about an hour with no issue and switched over to AP mode. Then the problems started again. I think at this point I'm just going to return this device as there is something wrong at the core of its AP functions. 

Message 6 of 7
danteoz
Aspirant

Ended up returning the WAX206 and bought a Ubiquiti U6 AP, set up in about 10 minutes and zero issues. Would not recommend the WAX206 as an AP for anyone unless whatever issues it has get worked out. This device has problems.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements