× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX214 AP network speed incorrect

rickaustinson
Initiate

WAX214 AP network speed incorrect

Hi all,

I am in the process of configuring threeX WAX214 APs for a new setup. On the device status page, the LAN speed is being reported at only 100 mbps. It's plugged into a gigabit POE injector that's plugged into a gigabit switch. Other devices plugged into the same switch report resolving at 1gbps just fine. There do not appear to be any settings pertinent to LAN speed.

Any idea what's going on?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WAX214 AP network speed incorrect

I've also seen sketchy cables cause it to drop. And you're adding in the injector as @schumaku says. 

Try the external power supply along with a 6ft cable and see what speeds you get. Simplifying is the easiest way to start with finding out if its an AP issue or a cable/injector issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@rickaustinson wrote:

I am in the process of configuring threeX WAX214 APs for a new setup. On the device status page, the LAN speed is being reported at only 100 mbps. .

So very likely it is negotiating FE only for whatever reason.

@rickaustinson wrote:

It's plugged into a gigabit POE injector that's plugged into a gigabit switch. Other devices plugged into the same switch report resolving at 1gbps just fine.

Unknown factor is the injector, or worst case the network cable.

Tell us more about the injector and it's power supply. Make, model, et all.

For a real comparison with the GbE switch interop, for a test power the WAX214 from a generic 12V DC power supply, 12V with at least 1.5A / 18W Power adapter, very commonly used on many older Netgear routers for example. Then you know if we're facing an (unlikely, rare) GbE incompatibility.

Keep in mind, a PoE Plus (802.3at-2009) power injector is required, a basic PoE Plus (802.3af) does not provide sufficient power.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've also seen sketchy cables cause it to drop. And you're adding in the injector as @schumaku says. 

Try the external power supply along with a 6ft cable and see what speeds you get. Simplifying is the easiest way to start with finding out if its an AP issue or a cable/injector issue. 

Message 3 of 5
rickaustinson
Initiate

The POE injector is a Xirrus XP1-MSI-75M. It is a 75 watt PoE+ injector, we used to use these to run 8 radio enterprise grade APs, so it should be able to drive a 2 radio AP just fine. 

The cable from the switch to the injector is a high quality factory-made cable that I use as my standard "test" cable because its so reliable. The final cable that goes from the injector into the AP however is a short cable I made myself, and I'll admit to not having had the best of luck in that arena.

So I bypassed the injector and used the supplied 12 volt wall war power supply, and on the factory-made cable directly to the switch, immediately got 1gbps. So then I moved it back over to the injector, swapping another factory-made cable in between the injector and the Ap, and guess what?

I got 1gbps.

So my home-made cat6 cable was at fault. Seems I am just useless at rolling my own cables.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sounds like you got the issue figured out!

Might just need to redo the ends on the home made cable. I've seen slight nicks or not quite crimped right cause problems. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements