× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX214 SSDP help requested

dumbo25
Tutor

WAX214 SSDP help requested

I have a python script called vadim.py that uses ssdp to discover devices on my network.

See full script at https://github.com/dumbo25/wemosetup and vadim.py

The goal of the script is to find all wemos on my network. I had all my switches and APs plugged directly into my gateway and vadim worked fine. There was one network segment. I was able to consistently find 29 out of 29 my WeMo devices when my laptop was connected to any of my SSIDs.

The issue was my first floor AP was directly under my 2nd floor AP. So, there were Wi-Fi dead spots on the other side of my house. I moved the 2nd floor AP to the other side of my home using PoE with the WAX214. This required plugging the AP into a switch creating a new "network segment".

Each AP has 2 radios; one radio is dedicated to 802.11n and the other radio is for 5GHz protocols. And each has its own SSID. My WeMos coonnect to SSIDs dumbon (15 WeMos on 1st floor) or dumbon2 (14 WeMos on 2nd floor).

Now, when I run python3 vadim.py discover, I only get those on the SSID I am connected to (dumbon or dumbn2).

Is there anyway to enable ssdp on the WAX214, or are there any settings that would make this work?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
dumbo25
Tutor

Re: WAX214 SSDP help requested

I went back through the JGS524PE settings. The one that seems to make a difference is QoS Mode, which I changed from 802.1p-based to Port-based. And now the script works! Yay! Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@dumbo25 wrote:

The issue was my first floor AP was directly under my 2nd floor AP. So, there were Wi-Fi dead spots on the other side of my house. I moved the 2nd floor AP to the other side of my home using PoE with the WAX214. This required plugging the AP into a switch creating a new "network segment".

This is a little bit confusing, at least to the reader here. How is this new network segment linked - I understand this as a piece if wired network not physically connected to the primary LAN? Asking because historically an Ethernet network segment was a connection/cable making a shared media, and multiple segments were connected using bridges (typically with some filters, limiting certain traffic/functionality, for example to create multiple broadcast domains). 

In general I would expect the WAX214 is able to deal with SSDP in both directions, able to discover WLAN->LAN, WLAN->WLAN, and LAN->WLAN, being to discover a Windows or MacOS system, or to discover your WeMos. 

Message 2 of 9
dumbo25
Tutor

Sorry for the confusion. Here is how my network is configured.

My ISP's Gateway has four ports. Three are connected to switch 1, switch 2 and the downstairs AP. The upstairs AP was connected to the 4th port when the script found all 29 WeMos. Now, the upstairs AP is connected to a PoE port on switch 2. 

Perhaps, the switch is creating the "network segment". I will check its settings. 

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

So the PoE switch powering the WAX214 is also linked to one of the router ports I'm guessing. that far that good. this makes just yet another link, nothing dedicated, unless you start to use multiple VLANs which can let that link to appear as a part from a different network.

What PoE switch is in place there?.

Message 4 of 9
dumbo25
Tutor

The WAX214 is connected to a NetGear JGS524PE - 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Smart Managed Switch.

I am not using any of the smart features of the switch (I thought I might in the future). No VLAN settings are enabled.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Both the WAX214 and the JGS524PE are on the current firmware (links are pointing to the relevant download page)?

Message 6 of 9
dumbo25
Tutor

WAX214 has firmware 2.0.1.3 upgraded to 2.1.1.2 and confirmed 

Upstairs JGS524PE has firmware 2.6.0.43 upgraded to 2.6.0.48 and confirmed. I updated the downstairs switch as well.

After upgrade, checked that all upstairs WeMos are connected to switch 2

When I run the script, I get the same results. Connected to ac1, ac2 or n SSIDs it returns only the downstairs WeMos.

Connected to n2, I get only the upstairs WeMos.

My understanding of ssdp is it does not work across network segments. Somehow a network segment is created when the AP is not directly plugged into the ISP's gateway.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@dumbo25 wrote:

My understanding of ssdp is it does not work across network segments. Somehow a network segment is created when the AP is not directly plugged into the ISP's gateway.

Nah, you still have a single flat network, just adding a switch does not create another network segment. this was true decades ago on classic yellow thick Ethernet with AUIs and the thin wire Ethernet with the RJ11 and the T-connectors on the computers. Multiple segments used to be created by deploying bridges with various filtering or blocking. Oh I was young back then ... around 1980 tech that was.

If you are still in the free support window for the WAX214, I suggest to create a support ticket vis https://my.netgear.com/ - should not happen that simple (de-facto industry standard SSDP) is blocked by the AP and/or the switch. If the switch has ICMP Multicast support enabled on  the primary VLAN, don't mark "block unknown multicast" just in case.

Keep us posted please.

Message 8 of 9
dumbo25
Tutor

I went back through the JGS524PE settings. The one that seems to make a difference is QoS Mode, which I changed from 802.1p-based to Port-based. And now the script works! Yay! Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements