× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX214 SSH access: What username and password?

JBox
Tutor

WAX214 SSH access: What username and password?

I have setup a new WAX214 access point and have a question about one of the functions. There is an option in the web admin interface under Management > Advanced called "SSH Setting" which I assume allows ssh shell access to the device. (The manual doesn't even mention this option.) After enabling "SSH Setting", I am able to get a password prompt from the device when connecting with ssh, but it will not accept the local admin password that I have set. I tried connecting with the usernames "admin" and "root" with the same result for both. Does anyone know how to connect via ssh? Is it using some other username or password besides the web interface password? FWIW the device firmware version is 1.0.1.0, and I am trying to connect from the LAN side. I am able to access the web interface from the same machine that cannot get an ssh connection.

Thanks for any info!

Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@JBox,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

My apologies but SSH access is restricted to users and it can only be accessible by our engineering team.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JBox
Tutor

Can you elaborate further on what you mean by "SSH access is restricted to users"? Does that mean there is a static list of user IDs across all WAX214 units?

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@JBox,

My apologies for the confusion. Only our engineering team is allowed to have access to SSH for debug.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements