× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX214 stops accepting management connections

driver8
Aspirant

WAX214 stops accepting management connections

I have three WAX214s installed at my premises, and two of them manifest a symptom whereby after a relatively short period of time, maybe 15-20 mins, they stop accepting connections for management.

They are all three set up as follows:

• Ethernet connection. Two are POE, one has a PSU (this is not correlated to the issue).

• Static IP

• WiFi set to 2.4GHz only (ax/n/g/b)

• WPA2/WPA3-Personal security

• Management WiFi signal disabled

• Firmware 2.1.1.3 (latest at present)

If I reboot the devices I can connect to the management interface for all of them without problem, but after a period of time two of them simply do not respond when I try to connect until I reboot them.

This happens even if I am connected directly to them as access points via one of the WiFi signals they serve. They all seem to function OK as access points for accessing other devices on the network.

Is it possible that there is a bug in the firmware that means the feature that disables the management WiFi interface after 15 mins is being applied to connections via ethernet and other WiFi signals as well? This is what it feels like is happening.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX214 stops accepting management connections

@driver8 wrote:

The management WiFi interface disabling after 15 mins is being applied to connections via ethernet and other WiFi signals as well? This is what it feels like is happening.

This management interface is in fact a management WiFi network SSID, allowing to connect just to the AP (LAN) IP over this network - which is commonly assigned by DHCP- Don't think this has an impact on the level you are behind.

Are the static configured management IP addresses reachable on the network? I'd start with a simple ping ...

Message 2 of 12
driver8
Aspirant

I now have a situation where two of the three WAX 214 I have installed do not accept a connection from a web browser, but they can both be pinged without any problem.

I certainly cannot say that the problem I am experiencing is that the management interface has timed out, and as you say this "feature" is only meant to apply to the management WiFi network, but there is definitely an issue and I had simply speculated about one possible cause and have no way of knowing exactly what is causing it.

The fact that I can ping the devices suggests that their code is running to some degree at least so that they can respond to the pings, but the exact nature of the problem is not something I can know.

It may be that rather than a time-out there is instead something like a memory leak which has caused the internal web server to crash, or some other bug; all I can do is report that there is an issue which stops me getting to the management interface after a period of time.

I have the devices set to reboot automatically once a day during nighttime hours, and that means that I can generally connect to them OK in the morning. Right now it is 10.25 in the evening and I will have to manually reboot the devices to be able to connect to their management interfaces.

Message 3 of 12
olly_thomas
Aspirant

Just installed mine and am hitting the same issue.  I wrote an expect script to change the password daily on a guest SSID. 

basically does this:

wax214>ssidp 4 apsecu 6 passp <passphrase>
wax214>ssidp 4 apsecu 6 accept

wax214>reboot

I left it using WPA2/WPA3 security, the rest of my manually configured SSIDs use WPA2 only.  I lost my management connections via ssh and http.  I was only able to get to the GUI via the config SSID.

When I saw your post, I spotted you used WPA2/WPA3 - I thought I'd set it to WPA2 via the config SSID gui and management started working again on the LAN.

Message 4 of 12
driver8
Aspirant

Yes, the conclusion I have come to is that there is something wrong with Netgear's WPA3 implementation. I also have a couple of EAX12s (which also have other significant flaws in the current version of their firmware), and if I try and use WPA3 on these the wireless clients continually disconnect, whereas with WPA2 there is no problem.

Although Netgear get some things right (hardware is decent and support website is pretty good), their firmware is unacceptably poor and buggy.

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Connecting to the management Web UI from clients associated wireless or does the same.issue exist on the world network?

IPv4 or IPv6 local link or static IPv6 ?
Message 6 of 12
driver8
Aspirant

Status IPv4.
Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

It's amazing how people walk ways off the product documented and intended usage.

At no point Netgear does promote using any kind of shell access (AFAIK there is none out of the box).
Message 8 of 12
Mike0000
Aspirant

*bump*

I have the same problem as the OP, where I have a Netgear AX1800 WAX214 which stopped responding on the web UI.

The AP is powered through PoE (connected to a Netgear GS324TP), successfully obtains its IP via DHCP from my router, and allows clients to connect via WIFI and passes on traffic.

A ping of the IP is successful with ping times of 3-4ms.

There are no firewall rules preventing the access of the AP.

The issue is that I want to be able to access the web UI to configure the AP, but typing the IP into the browser results in a timeout error:

* Firefox: "The connection has timed out. The server at [192.168.5.123] is taking too long to respond."

* Chrome: "This site can’t be reached. [192.168.5.123] took too long to respond. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT"

* Edge: "Hmmm… can't reach this page. [192.168.5.123] took too long to respond. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT"

Is there a solution to this problem, or should I consider the AP faulty and request a replacement?

Thanks

Mike

Message 9 of 12
olly_thomas
Aspirant

Mike, If you reboot it can you get to the config-only ssid? If so, try disabling any WPA3 and set back to WPA2 only.
Message 10 of 12
n0t_gear
Aspirant

Same issue here. I have 3 WAX214s. POE, IPv4,WPA2. I've tried static addresses and DHCP. I can ping all 3 successfully. WebUI works for a while then doesn't. Occasionally, repeated refreshs on the browser will bring up the WebUI but usually quicker to just reboot the device. 

nmap also shows the ports (80/443) as filtered.

Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
53/tcp open domain (generic dns response: NOTIMP)
| fingerprint-strings:
| DNSVersionBindReqTCP:
| version
|_ bind
80/tcp filtered http
443/tcp filtered https
554/tcp filtered rtsp
1935/tcp filtered rtmp
5000/tcp open upnp MiniUPnP 1.9 (UPnP 1.1)

Message 11 of 12
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @driver8 @n0t_gear,

We have seen this issue before. Kindly contact our support team and report the said issue for this particular model.

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

BrianL

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements