× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX214 unstable : reboot when connecting devices

keyser75
Aspirant

WAX214 unstable : reboot when connecting devices

I can't a stable operation with Access Point WAX214.

It's connected to a GC108P switch and perfectly powered.

Capture d’écran 2021-01-24 120715.png

I create a new SSID (WPA2/WPA3) and reached to connected a Macbook. It works.

When I try to connect an iPhone or an iPad to this SSID (BURO/VLAN 20, but others SSID crrsh too)), access Point crashed immediatly :

- device try to connect

- blue LAN Led on AP is shutting down

- AP reboot.

Capture d’écran 2021-01-24 121057.png

It takes several minutes to have access again to the Access Point. Unusable.

Sometimes I have to reboot it several times it have LAN access (blue LED).

!!!! Edit  : it seems that mixed mode (WPA2/WPA3) is crashing. When I set only WPA3, I have no problem. I'm testing.

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR beta test failure ?!?!?

Message 2 of 8
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @keyser75 

Could you please share the iOS version that you are using? 14.4? Also send me the complete device configuration via PM.  We need more details.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 3 of 8
keyser75
Aspirant

Workaround supply by Netgear Support : "Group Key Update Interval" to 0. Now Mixed-mode is perfectly stable.

But that's not a secure way. I did not try other values, don't want to spend my time to test.

An old problem that I discover then on forums (not only with iOS devices). Weird.

By the way my iOS where in 14.4 (firstly in 14.3).

I managed too to crash the AP with an Android doing a Speetest before workaround

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@keyser75 wrote:

Workaround supply by Netgear Support : "Group Key Update Interval" to 0. Now Mixed-mode is perfectly stable.

But that's not a secure way.

Correct security consideration. Be aware that various simple wireless clients (wireless repeaters, extenders, IoT, ...) fail with the group key update <> 0 the moment the update will take place.

Message 5 of 8
JBox
Tutor

I too have run into this stability issue with WPA2/WPA3 hybrid mode. My workaround was to create an SSID for WPA2 and another SSID for WPA3. This works well and has been stable so far, but it would be good to have the hybrid mode as a viable option. I agree that setting the Group Key Update Interval to 0 is not a good option. Has anyone heard if/when there will be a firmware update to fix this stability issue with WPA2/WPA3 hybrid mode?

Message 6 of 8
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Please use the latest FW.

Important  Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the AP sometimes reboots with certain connected WiFi clients.
  • Fixes the schedule reboot issue.
  • Fixes inability to read the connected client list via SNMP.

https://kb.netgear.com/000063706/WAX214-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-3

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 8
jeremyshaw
Tutor

Thanks, I've dusted off my WAX214 and am willing to try it again. Let's see if this one will finally be stable when powered via POE (Netgear MX510TXPP)!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements