× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX218 IGMP not work

siculish
Follower

WAX218 IGMP not work

i bought a WAX218 and I could connected it successfully. now I have the problem that the IPTV is not working in Multicast. The first 10 seconds of the stream are in unicast and its works, then the stream switches to multicast and the picture freezes.

There are no settings for IGMP in the wegUI and also not in the instructions/documentation.

Does this AP support IGMP or is there a known bug here?

WAX218

Current Firmware Version:2.1.1.3

Device Version:1.0

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX218 IGMP not work

@siculish wrote:

i bought a WAX218 and I could connected it successfully. now I have the problem that the IPTV is not working in Multicast. The first 10 seconds of the stream are in unicast and its works, then the stream switches to multicast and the picture freezes.

There are no settings for IGMP in the wegUI and also not in the instructions/documentation.

Does this AP support IGMP or is there a known bug here?

WAX218

Current Firmware Version:2.1.1.3

Device Version:1.0

Not aware having seen IGMP Snooping Multicast support in these Essential AP modes (like WAX214 or WAX218), neither on the data sheet, the user manual, or the Web UI. Thus, there is no control to enable the IGMP Snooping, too. Said that, I assume this is could be intentional.

IGMP snooping allows IP multicast packets to be transmitted only to the members of a corresponding multicast group. Enabling IGMP snooping prevents flooding of multicast traffic to all the ports in a broadcast domain. Therefore, IGMP snooping is disabled on these access point models. 

The possible reason why the image is freezing could be due to lack of bandwidth, because this Multicast traffic would reach all wireless clients, or because these AP are prohibiting heavy Multicast. Of course, you don't want the Multicast hitting all other wireless devices (mobiles, IoT, ...).

I'll see what I can figure out from the product designers intentions regarding to IGMP Snooping support.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements