× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX218 crashes when lenovo laptops connect

ademrudin
Tutor

WAX218 crashes when lenovo laptops connect

I have a brand new WAX218 access point.

The access point immediately crashes (and then slowly reboots) when I try to connect my main personal laptop - a Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen3 with the Intel AX201 wireless card. It also crashes when my work laptop attempts to connect - Lenovo Yoga Gen 3(?) with the Intel AC8265 wireless.

It does NOT crash when I connect chromecasts (Gen3 and Audio versions), phones (Android: Pixel 4a and Pixel 3aXL. iOS: 2016 iPhone SE running iOS 14.something), and my circa-2013 Macbook.

This occured with the as-shipped 1.0.1.0 firmware, as well as the newest 1.0.2.3 firmware.

Through some trial and error, I've figured out that it crashes regardless of WPA2 or WPA2/WPA-3 mixed-mode, and regardless of if AX mode is on or off on the 2.4GHz channel. The trigger to produce a crash appears to be 5GHz mode - if I turn that off, it works with the Lenovo laptops.

The WAX218 is powered off a GS308PP PoE+ switch; it is the only PoE device on the switch so it should have ample power available.

Any help? Tips? Pointers? Log file from a boot after a crash is attached - nothing seems to have been preserved from the crash itself...

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What driver is the lenovo's running for their wireless cards?

I have an WAX218 and a lenovo (yoga 6) but it doesnt' cause it to crash at all. 

Have you tried powering off a power supply and not POE? (just to test)

Message 2 of 8
ademrudin
Tutor

Both laptops are on Intel's latest 22.40.0 driver.

I do not have a 12V/2.5A power supply, so I would have to purchase one to try that. I do not see the power fault light illuminating on the switch when the AP crashes.

Note that my phones/chromecasts/etc work when only 5GHz is enabled on the AP - the AP only crashes when the laptops connect.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

That router is pretty new (released in 2021) so it should still be within warranty and probably the support period. 

Have you tried contacting support? 

Click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. from there you can contact support. 

I'd check around to see if you have any old routers that have a 12v/2.5amp power supply. That switch should supply that necessary power but stranger things have happened then a switch no provide the power, a supply being bad, or power lost during transmission. 

Message 4 of 8
ademrudin
Tutor

Followup: this issue was annoying me enough that I bodged up an adapter to run the WAX218 off my bench supply. Surprise! When powered off the DC jack instead of via PoE, the AP works 100% fine. I've got a genuine Netgear PAV12V power brick in the mail now.

I'm still more than slightly disappointed that this AP does not appear to play well with what I believe to be an adequate PoE+ switch.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@ademrudin wrote:

I'm still more than slightly disappointed that this AP does not appear to play well with what I believe to be an adequate PoE+ switch.

Could still be a hardware issue on the PoE switch or the AP.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it functioning!

Sad that something in the POE isn't working properly. 

@schumaku is correct, it could be several things that could be causing the issue with the POE

Message 7 of 8
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Please use the latest FW.

Important  Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the AP sometimes reboots with certain connected WiFi clients.
  • Fixes the schedule reboot issue.
  • Fixes inability to read the connected client list via SNMP.

https://kb.netgear.com/000063707/WAX218-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-3

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements