× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX218 extend with other units

cyberdrone
Follower

WAX218 extend with other units

Hi all, I can't find any information in official documentation: Is it possible to extend WAX218 with another WAX218 (or even more) and manage them together in one Admin UI? (Similar as Ubiquiti products can do)

Or are they completely separated and do not know each other? I this case I assume I do still have  the seamless wifi roaming feature if I use same SSID, as it is Wifi standard feature, right? Do I have to manually ensure, that they use different channels?

Many thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX218 extend with other units

@cyberdrone wrote:

Hi all, I can't find any information in official documentation: Is it possible to extend WAX218 with another WAX218 (or even more)

Netgear is very clearly stating on about the first chapter of the UM and the marketing material:

"The NETGEAR WiFi 6 AX3600 Dual Band PoE Access Point Model WAX218 is an indoor, standalone access point"

@cyberdrone wrote:

Or are they completely separated and do not know each other?

Each of these Essential WAX214/218 is individually, local managed.

@cyberdrone wrote:

I this case I assume I do still have  the seamless wifi roaming feature if I use same SSID, as it is Wifi standard feature, right?

"To enable fast roaming for WPA2-Personal security, in the Fast Roaming section, select the Enable radio button. For WPA personal security, fast roaming is available only if you select WPA2-Personal from the Security Mode menu."

Technical reason is that for WAP3, SAE replaces the previous methods for negotiating session keys using pre-shared keys and is also used in WLAN mesh implementations. it can't be shared and exchanged easily and taken from other AP - this feature is not part of the Wi-Fi.org specs yet. This requires some kind of management, as available on a cloud management system like Netgear Insight or a mesh system.  On the standardization side it's a work-in-progress item. 

@cyberdrone wrote:

Do I have to manually ensure, that they use different channels?

As mentioned, each of these WAX21x are locally managed, so the channel management goes on the admin manual work.

@cyberdrone wrote:

...and manage them together in one Admin UI? (Similar as Ubiquiti products can do)

Netgear offers these essential AP with local Web management and Insight managed AP allowing local as well as cloud managed APs. 

For Ubiquity Unifii you are limited to management, being by using local cloud controllers on your network, or on the cloud. Something many admins don't want to operate for several reasons.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX218 extend with other units

@cyberdrone wrote:

Hi all, I can't find any information in official documentation: Is it possible to extend WAX218 with another WAX218 (or even more)

Netgear is very clearly stating on about the first chapter of the UM and the marketing material:

"The NETGEAR WiFi 6 AX3600 Dual Band PoE Access Point Model WAX218 is an indoor, standalone access point"

@cyberdrone wrote:

Or are they completely separated and do not know each other?

Each of these Essential WAX214/218 is individually, local managed.

@cyberdrone wrote:

I this case I assume I do still have  the seamless wifi roaming feature if I use same SSID, as it is Wifi standard feature, right?

"To enable fast roaming for WPA2-Personal security, in the Fast Roaming section, select the Enable radio button. For WPA personal security, fast roaming is available only if you select WPA2-Personal from the Security Mode menu."

Technical reason is that for WAP3, SAE replaces the previous methods for negotiating session keys using pre-shared keys and is also used in WLAN mesh implementations. it can't be shared and exchanged easily and taken from other AP - this feature is not part of the Wi-Fi.org specs yet. This requires some kind of management, as available on a cloud management system like Netgear Insight or a mesh system.  On the standardization side it's a work-in-progress item. 

@cyberdrone wrote:

Do I have to manually ensure, that they use different channels?

As mentioned, each of these WAX21x are locally managed, so the channel management goes on the admin manual work.

@cyberdrone wrote:

...and manage them together in one Admin UI? (Similar as Ubiquiti products can do)

Netgear offers these essential AP with local Web management and Insight managed AP allowing local as well as cloud managed APs. 

For Ubiquity Unifii you are limited to management, being by using local cloud controllers on your network, or on the cloud. Something many admins don't want to operate for several reasons.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements