× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX218 slow 5GHz WiFi speeds

sffortytwo
Tutor

WAX218 slow 5GHz WiFi speeds

II installed a WAX218 and connected it with a gigabit cable (verified). However, when testing the 5GHz speeds, I'm only getting 20Mbps. My laptop is line-of-sight to the AP, about 4 meters away. I have very few clients connected. 2.4GHz is also enabled. What could be the problem? What speeds should I be expecting? My previous ISP-supplied POS modem gets me 400Mbps with the same number of clients connected.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
sffortytwo
Tutor

Re: WAX218 slow 5GHz WiFi speeds

Update: All smart plugs can connect over 2.4GHz (even the most distant ones). Speeds over 5GHz are now consistently and hit speeds of 400Mbps+.

The solution seems to have been dropping the 2.4GHz signal from 'Full' to 'Half'.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what have you changed in your 5ghz settings? 

Are you using the smart connect?

What have you set your channel width at?
Have you changed 5ghz channels? 

Have you checked your throughput settings that you have setup for each ssid?

My WAX218 has no problem hitting 400mbps over an AX connection.

Message 2 of 6
sffortytwo
Tutor

Hi plemans,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I updated the firmware now to the latest and factory reset the AP. With only 5GHz enabled, I get around 200-350Mbps, but as soon as I enable 2.4GHz, the 5GHz drops to 20-100Mbps. I need 2.4GHz for my smart home plugs.

All settings are now factory default.

I checked the manual, but I don't see anything about 'smart connect' or setting channel widths.

Update: I changed the 2.4GHz Transmit Power from Full to Half and now 5GHz is running at 400Mbps. I just need to check if all my smart plugs can still connect though.

Message 3 of 6
sffortytwo
Tutor

Update: All smart plugs can connect over 2.4GHz (even the most distant ones). Speeds over 5GHz are now consistently and hit speeds of 400Mbps+.

The solution seems to have been dropping the 2.4GHz signal from 'Full' to 'Half'.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@sffortytwo wrote:

What is the point of lowering the 2.4 GHz signal power, intended and required to reach lots of comparable basic or weak IoT installed at the farest edge oft the house? None of this does impact or magically enhance the possible 5 GHz link rates.  

Message 5 of 6
sffortytwo
Tutor

Not 100% sure what you're asking. But, even at Half power, the most distant 2.4GHz smart plug get around 80% signal strength. Having the 2.4GHz power at Full seemed to interfere with the 5GHz signal. Every time I turned 2.4GHz off, 5GHz speeds shot up. As soon as I turned it on, the speeds tanked. Lowering the 2.4GHz power allowed me to have both and maximum speed on 5GHz. Or am I missing something?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements