× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX241 / AX1800 - Connectivity drops with certain configurations

railbird
Follower

WAX241 / AX1800 - Connectivity drops with certain configurations

Hi everybody - bit of a complicated setup so I'll try to keep this as concise as I can.

Using the WAX214 wifi router with 3 SSIDs:

SSID 1 - Not tagged traffic / default VLAN.  Using mixed mode WPA2 / WPA3

SSID 2 - "IoT" network - Tagged for VLAN 169 using only WPA2

SSID 3 - "Guest" network - Tagged for VLAN 69 using no encryption

(I am not using the access point's guest network feature for SSID 3 - I have all of my ACLs and DHCP done on the network side)

Here's the squirrely part.  SSID 3 is always set to use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and works without issue.

SSIDs 1 and 2 -only- work if I have SSID 1 set to 5ghz only and SSID 2 set to 2.4ghz only.  If I have both SSID 1 and 2 set to 2.4 + 5ghz, my devices will constantly drop and reconnect to the AP and everything is basically unusable.

I know all of my VLAN routing on the back end is setup correctly because everything works fine when I have SSID 1 set to only 5ghz and SSID 2 set to only 2.4ghz.  I can't for the life of me make any sense out of why setting them to use both radios puts everything into a tailspin.  No issues whatsoever on the wired network either way.  

This happened on the old V1.0.3 firmware and is still happening with the new 2.0.1.0 firmware installed.  I'm hoping I'm overlooking something obvious, but I'm at a complete loss on this one.  

Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAX241 / AX1800 - Connectivity drops with certain configurations

@railbird

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked, there is no issue on the WAX214 pertaining specifically to what you have described on your initial post.  Have you tried to perform a factory reset on your WAX214?  If not yet, kindly try it then reconfigure the settings from scratch and check if the same problem will occur. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
dumbo25
Tutor

Re: WAX241 / AX1800 - Connectivity drops with certain configurations

I had a similar issue with WAX214/AX1800. I could not get the 2.4GHz radio to broadcast its SSID on firmware version 2.0.1.3. I had to set the 2.4GHz to a specific channel, and to 20MHz bandwidth. 

Follow-up question. Is there anyway to dosably 802.11b and 802.11g? I want my 2.4GHz radio/SSID to support 802.11n-only.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements