× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX610 - 802.3at stopped working

brajeshp
Tutor

WAX610 - 802.3at stopped working

Model: WAX610
After update of firmware (Ver 9.5.1.20) on 18/6, POE+ stopped working and it uses 802.3af only. 802.3at stopped working.

This happened to my two of AP.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
brajeshp
Tutor

Re: WAX610 - 802.3at stopped working

Finally manage to resolve it.

1. As per page 225 of switch manual, The power stateful control TLV is defined in IEEE P802.3at D1.0. The later versions no longer support this TLV. HP devices send this type of TLVs only after receiving them.

2. As per HP knowledge base number emr_na-kc0103319en_us, If the PD is for 802.3at, switch can communicate with the PD using LLDP.

3. Issue is switch waits for OD (WAX610) to ask for more power however WAX610 waits for switch to give more power. so there is deadlock.

4. This deadlock can be broken by overloading PD so it request more power from switch. This was the case when I first install WAX610 because I've only one WAX610, later I added another one.

5. This time after update, there was not enough load. So as per point 2, I enabled LLDP which is not required for a single location. It sets following:
Power port class : PSE
PSE power supported : Yes
PSE power enabled : Yes
PSE pairs control ability : No
Power pairs : Signal
Port power classification : Class 4
Power Type : Type 2 PSE
Power Source : Primary
Power Priority : Critical
PD requested power value : 25.5(W)
PSE allocated power value : 25.5(W)

So problem was solved by enabling LLDP. But it can be solved by loading enough clients on WAX610 too.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @brajeshp 

Could you please share the model of the switch ?

Thanks,

Raghu.

Message 2 of 7
brajeshp
Tutor

Hi @RaghuHR Raghu,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using HPE 1910-8G-PoE+ (180W) Switch Model JG350A. It's working fine until I upgraded it to latest firmware.

I've allocated 30w for each AP, however it's drawing only 6-7 watt.

thanks

Brajesh

Message 3 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @brajeshp 

Send me the screen shot the drawing power from the switch. WAX610 supports at power and no known issue here. Even if you allocate 30W WAX610 may operate at lower level depending the load.It need not draw always the allocated power. 

What was drawing power in the previous firmware?  

Message 4 of 7
brajeshp
Tutor

I've never noticed abpout power consupmtion before as there was no issue. Please see attched screenshot for port 3.

Message 5 of 7
brajeshp
Tutor

Finally manage to resolve it.

1. As per page 225 of switch manual, The power stateful control TLV is defined in IEEE P802.3at D1.0. The later versions no longer support this TLV. HP devices send this type of TLVs only after receiving them.

2. As per HP knowledge base number emr_na-kc0103319en_us, If the PD is for 802.3at, switch can communicate with the PD using LLDP.

3. Issue is switch waits for OD (WAX610) to ask for more power however WAX610 waits for switch to give more power. so there is deadlock.

4. This deadlock can be broken by overloading PD so it request more power from switch. This was the case when I first install WAX610 because I've only one WAX610, later I added another one.

5. This time after update, there was not enough load. So as per point 2, I enabled LLDP which is not required for a single location. It sets following:
Power port class : PSE
PSE power supported : Yes
PSE power enabled : Yes
PSE pairs control ability : No
Power pairs : Signal
Port power classification : Class 4
Power Type : Type 2 PSE
Power Source : Primary
Power Priority : Critical
PD requested power value : 25.5(W)
PSE allocated power value : 25.5(W)

So problem was solved by enabling LLDP. But it can be solved by loading enough clients on WAX610 too.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Well possible, the new SDK in place on the WAX has removed some legacy or draft features from the WAX610 (and WAX620) PD implementation.

Already the basic TLVs are based on LLDP in my understanding.

LLDP isn't a feature not required for a single location - it's done on each single network link (e.g. between the PD and the PSE, between the switch port and the connected device. Having LLDP enabled (mainly towards LLDP-MED support) is mandatory - because there is no PoE Classification Resistance Values detection for Class 4 and up anymore. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements