× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX610 WiFi Speeds

markfMK
Guide

WAX610 WiFi Speeds

Hi
I’ve had my WAX connected up for the last couple of days with various results.

I’ve setup a dedicated 5ghz and separate 2.4ghz networks.

I’ve got FTTP BT 900mb broadband coming into the house. Hardwire from switch gives 950mb most of the time.

WiFi on 5ghz seems to be hit and miss. Even standing a few feet from the AP?

Next to device range - 410 (great) to 110 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max

Any advice?

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

The WAX610 (AX1800) is a 2x2 access point that functions in 80hz spectrum for 5ghz. Meaning even at closes range using an AX devices, your maximum link speed is 1200mbps. That's link speed and not throughput speed. throughput speed is usually 55-65% of that. And that's if you're connecting to both 2x2 antenna's, if you're connecting with an AX class device,  and if you're close to it.

something else to keep in mind with business class access points is they're designed to handle many devices but not necessarily handle them at the fastest speeds. Its because they're supposed to provide consistent overall coverage for all devices.  

You're going to see speeds drop off as you move away from it as speeds drop off faster with 5ghz than it does with 2.4ghz. 

I've got a similar performance with my WAX*** device. My RAX200 (AX1100) and my CAX80 (ax6000) are both much faster in peak performance than what my WAX is. But my WAX can handle many more devices without stutter, can run multiple ssids, vlans, etc. 

Message 2 of 7
markfMK
Guide

Hi, many thanks for coming back to me.

Interesting that my original idea was to go with the RAX200 and then look at a extender like the EAX80. I wonder have I gone down the wrong route.

Out of interest is the EAX80 connected via Ethernet or wifi?

Thanks again
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@markfMK wrote:

Out of interest is the EAX80 connected via Ethernet or wifi?---the eax can connection via ethernet or wifi but if its connected via ethernet (in access point mode) it doesn't run as a mesh device. The only devices i know that support mesh mode in wired or wireless is the orbi mesh and the one version of nighthawk (mk60)

Thanks again

Message 4 of 7
gn00347026
Guide

Anyone know the throughput of WAX610? AX1800 should get an average of 6xx Mbps, i think, but with my WAX610, i just get 4XXmbps..how come..

i am using IPhone 12 Pro...

Message 5 of 7
LOTRouter
Aspirant

I regularly get 720Mbps on my iPhone 12 when I’m standing under my WAX610.  

The two things I have seen adversely affect the WAX610 are:

• Usine a POE switch or brick instead of a POE+ switch or brick.  It will still power up and work, but it slows way down on the lower powered POE.
  • Not hanging the WAX 610 on the wall or ceiling.  Simply placing it face up on a desktop provides horrid coverage.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@LOTRouter wrote:

The two things I have seen adversely affect the WAX610 are:

• Usine a POE switch or brick instead of a POE+ switch or brick.  It will still power up and work, but it slows way down on the lower powered POE.

The WAX610, WAX610Y | Data Sheet does clearly states the mandatory requirement for 802.3at (that is PoE+)..

@LOTRouter wrote:
  • Not hanging the WAX 610 on the wall or ceiling.  Simply placing it face up on a desktop provides horrid coverage.

The radio pattern does not show reasonable anomalies. Differences experienced are caused by the desktop surface material, the mechanical design, ... 

WAX610 Radio Pattern.PNG

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements