× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX610 as extender

acme54321
Follower

WAX610 as extender

Can the WAX610 be configured as an extender with a non Insight managed router?
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No. It's not an exender, never will. It's a wireless access point, even if there is some kind of hock to bridge it to another Insight managed WAX only.

Message 2 of 4
DougHog
Aspirant

Isn't the OP probably referring to "Instant Mesh Wi-Fi" which is in WAX610 user manual starting around page 41 and uses the term extender in places like page 42-48?  In other words, wireless backhaul and using same SSID config as the root access point (not to be confused with some more generic Wi-Fi extender).

Assuming so, page 43 says must use Insight app to setup.  I had purchased WAX610 and other Insight Mesh models (WAC564) myself last year when there was an App and it was free, but early this year the App was dropped and Insight requires subscription.  I have no idea if previously setup Mesh keeps working once setup and/or if the manual fails to mention that non-app versions of Insight can be used to setup Instant Mesh.  I know that I use mine in non-Insight mode and it seemed obvious there is no non-Insight way to setup Instant Mesh either last year or this year.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@DougHog wrote:

Isn't the OP probably referring to "Instant Mesh Wi-Fi" which is in WAX610 user manual starting around page 41 and uses the term extender in places like page 42-48?  In other words, wireless backhaul and using same SSID config as the root access point (not to be confused with some more generic Wi-Fi extender).

Yes, of course. The point is that the wireless backhaul is much more than a single SSID connection and extension, and it's running over a dedicated BSSID and ESSID reserved and dedicated to the Instant Mesh connectivity.

@DougHog wrote:

I know that I use mine in non-Insight mode and it seemed obvious there is no non-Insight way to setup Instant Mesh either last year or this year.

This fits to my observations, too.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements