× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX610 no DHCP unless rebooted every few days

thecodemonk
Aspirant

WAX610 no DHCP unless rebooted every few days

I have two WAX610s connected to a GC108P. The switch is then connected to a OpnSense router. Every couple days, clients on the wifi network cannot get a DHCP address. I have to reboot the WAX610 they are connected to in order for it to start working again. The first time it happened, I did a packet capture on the AP and it was receiving the DHCP requests, but it seems like it may not have been forwarding them onto the OpnSense router.

Is this a known issue that is being worked on? If not, what do you need to troubleshoot this issue? Since I can reboot the AP and all is well, it seems like this may be an issue with the AP and not the switch or router, but I am open to steps to figure that out.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WAX610 no DHCP unless rebooted every few days

@thecodemonk,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with your access point. May I know the firmware version? I believe there was a fix regarding this where the DHCP broadcasts are dropped by the AP when broadcast/multicast rate limit is enabled.

Please update the firmware to its latest version and please read the release notes before upgrading the firmware.

Regards,

John
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
thecodemonk
Aspirant

I am already on 9.3.0.6 and it was installed on March 30, 2021. I've had the problem since then.

I submitted a ticket with netgear support and am currently waiting on additional help from them. I'm open to other suggestions to try though. The problem hasn't happened in a couple days so it's about due to happen any day now.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@thecodemonk,

Thanks for letting us know. Please give us an update too on the progress so that our community will benefit from it too.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
thecodemonk
Aspirant

So this may not be a problem with the access point (WAX610). It may actually be the switch (GC108P). When I couldn't get an IP with my phone, I plugged my laptop into the managed switch (previously on a unmanaged netgear switch connected to port 8). I couldn't get DHCP with that laptop on a different port on the managed switch. After investigating, the mac address for the laptop was showing up as still being connected to port 8 (going to switching -> Address Table). There is a clear button and I am assuming it clears the address table as I unplugged 5 devices and they no longer showed up anymore, but my laptop still kept showing up on port 8. I could not get it to clear out. I rebooted the switch and it was now working fine. I could even put it back on the unmanaged switch connected to port 8 and it also worked as it should.

So today, my phone stopped getting an IP on the downstairs AP, so I looked at the address table and it's showing up on port 2 and won't clear. The down stairs AP is connected to port 1. I updated my ticket with netgear and they want to talk on the phone. So we'll see what they say when we connect that way. I suspect this is a firmware bug.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements