× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX610 no DHCP unless rebooted every few days

thecodemonk
Aspirant

WAX610 no DHCP unless rebooted every few days

I have two WAX610s connected to a GC108P. The switch is then connected to a OpnSense router. Every couple days, clients on the wifi network cannot get a DHCP address. I have to reboot the WAX610 they are connected to in order for it to start working again. The first time it happened, I did a packet capture on the AP and it was receiving the DHCP requests, but it seems like it may not have been forwarding them onto the OpnSense router.

Is this a known issue that is being worked on? If not, what do you need to troubleshoot this issue? Since I can reboot the AP and all is well, it seems like this may be an issue with the AP and not the switch or router, but I am open to steps to figure that out.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@thecodemonk,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with your access point. May I know the firmware version? I believe there was a fix regarding this where the DHCP broadcasts are dropped by the AP when broadcast/multicast rate limit is enabled.

Please update the firmware to its latest version and please read the release notes before upgrading the firmware.

Regards,

John
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
thecodemonk
Aspirant

I am already on 9.3.0.6 and it was installed on March 30, 2021. I've had the problem since then.

I submitted a ticket with netgear support and am currently waiting on additional help from them. I'm open to other suggestions to try though. The problem hasn't happened in a couple days so it's about due to happen any day now.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@thecodemonk,

Thanks for letting us know. Please give us an update too on the progress so that our community will benefit from it too.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
thecodemonk
Aspirant

So this may not be a problem with the access point (WAX610). It may actually be the switch (GC108P). When I couldn't get an IP with my phone, I plugged my laptop into the managed switch (previously on a unmanaged netgear switch connected to port 8). I couldn't get DHCP with that laptop on a different port on the managed switch. After investigating, the mac address for the laptop was showing up as still being connected to port 8 (going to switching -> Address Table). There is a clear button and I am assuming it clears the address table as I unplugged 5 devices and they no longer showed up anymore, but my laptop still kept showing up on port 8. I could not get it to clear out. I rebooted the switch and it was now working fine. I could even put it back on the unmanaged switch connected to port 8 and it also worked as it should.

So today, my phone stopped getting an IP on the downstairs AP, so I looked at the address table and it's showing up on port 2 and won't clear. The down stairs AP is connected to port 1. I updated my ticket with netgear and they want to talk on the phone. So we'll see what they say when we connect that way. I suspect this is a firmware bug.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements