× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX610

Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

WAX610

I've got a WAX610 with firmware version 9.6.2.6. I have multiple SSID's configured and with one of these SSID's I have enabled a WiFi activity schedule. When the WiFi activity schedule triggers on or off, all clients connected to the other SSID's get disconnected. Does anyone have an idea how to prevent clients from other SSID's being dropped when a WiFi activity schedule triggers on a different SSID or is this a firmware bug that I someone need to somehow raise with Netgear?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Re: WAX610

I am adding this information in case anyone else experiences this issue and wants a possible solution.

The root cause of my issue was that the beacon frequency changes when transitioning to more than 4 active SSIDs or transitioning to less than 5 active SSIDs as this causes all SSIDs to restart, hence the disconnection I was experiencing. As I had one of 5 SSIDs on a schedule, I was getting a disconnection whenever the scheduled time to activate the 5th SSID was enabled or disabled for this reason.

My solution was to add a 6th SSID (have left it hidden at the moment) so that when my SSID on a schedule is enabled or disabled, the total number of active SSIDs never goes below 4, which seems to have resolved my issue.

Thank you DaneA for following up on this issue with Netgear support.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

Was the WiFi activity schedule working before on your WAX610?

When the wireless clients gets disconnected from other SSIDs when the WiFi activity schedule on a certain SSID triggers on/off, does the wireless clients remains disconnected or reconnects to their respective SSIDs?

Does same issue occur if you set a WiFi activity schedule on other SSIDs?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

@DaneA thank you for your reply.

1. The WiFi On/Off Schedule has always worked on each WAX610 for the relevant SSID. The issue is clients that are connected to other SSIDs are disconnected when the schedule activates On or Off.

2. After each client has been disconnected, they do automatically reconnect when they have the credentials (passphrase) stored.

3. Same behavior seems to occur no matter which SSID I enable a schedule on. I isolated the connection to a single AP to verify.

I currently have five SSIDs defined and I have confirmed the issue occurs on SSID 3 or 4. The disconnection is very noticeable on my Android phone and my SmartTV.

Message 3 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

Since the issue occurs on SSIDs 3 and 4, are the SSIDs 3 and 4 on the same VLAN?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

I can be connected to SSID 1 or 2, for example, and if a schedule to turn off or on activates on SSID 3 or 4, there is a disconnection. All these SSIDs are currently on the same VLAN. It is almost like the schedule to turn on or off an SSID causes the entire AP to restart.

Thanks for the follow-up @DaneA 

Message 5 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

I got an update from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that this problem is under investigation and a fix is currently being worked on.  There is no ETA yet on the fix.  Please wait for further update.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

Just an update on this.  I got an update from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support that the latest WAX610 firmware which is v9.6.3.2 should resolve the issue.  

I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of your WAX610 to firmware v9.6.3.2 then observe if the same problem will occur.  You can download firmware v9.6.3.2 here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 12
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I have observed that the same issue still occurs with firmware v9.6.3.2. I also did not see anything in the release notes that suggested it has been resolved.

It wasn't as noticeable on a Windows computer, however, was noticeable on my Android Phone. Also, running a crude "ping -t" whilst the other SSID turned off at its scheduled time, showed a consecutive outage (Request timed out) period.

Message 8 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

Thank you for the feedback.  

With regards to this, I suggest you to open a support ticket with the NETGEAR Support Team here at anytime for further investigation.  It would be best that you download the detailed AP logs when the issue occurs then attach it to your support ticket. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 12
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

@DaneA how do I create a support ticket though?

Apparently, I'm only allowed to create a support ticket within 3 months of purchase. Do I need to purchase another AP or a support contract just so I can create a support ticket about a bug in the firmware? That is why I ended up raising this issue in the community.

I understand why many issues can be resolved in a community forum, however, I don't understand why consumers are only able to report bugs within 3 months of purchase.

Message 10 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Geoff-NZ,

I apologize for the late response. 😞  

Can you send the detailed logs from your WAX610 via private message.  You may upload it to Google Drive then indicate the download link when you send me a private message.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 12
Geoff-NZ
Apprentice

I am adding this information in case anyone else experiences this issue and wants a possible solution.

The root cause of my issue was that the beacon frequency changes when transitioning to more than 4 active SSIDs or transitioning to less than 5 active SSIDs as this causes all SSIDs to restart, hence the disconnection I was experiencing. As I had one of 5 SSIDs on a schedule, I was getting a disconnection whenever the scheduled time to activate the 5th SSID was enabled or disabled for this reason.

My solution was to add a 6th SSID (have left it hidden at the moment) so that when my SSID on a schedule is enabled or disabled, the total number of active SSIDs never goes below 4, which seems to have resolved my issue.

Thank you DaneA for following up on this issue with Netgear support.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements