× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX620, Connection speed?

sirpreis
Initiate

WAX620, Connection speed?

Hi,

I am trying to set up a WAX620 access point.

Currently I have had some 6 year old Linksys LAPAC1200 APs, which seem to not work as reliably as they used to.

When connecting with my devices to those Linksys APs on a 5 GHz network, my devices (Android smartphone and Windows laptop) show connection speeds of ~867 Mbps (when standing directly under those devices). When I then connect with the devices to the Netgear WAX620, I only get exactly 400 Mbps. What am I missing? I do have a 500 Mbps internet connection, so it would be nice to get at least those speeds? 

I do have other issues with the device as well:

- yesterday when setting up the device, it would frequently loose all of its settings after reboots.

- updating the firmware doesn't work. It fails both using the button that updates the device automatically (I guess that's what it's supposed to do) and also when download the firmware manually and using the "Local" updating feature.

The device is currectly on firmware version 9.5.3.4. It is connected to the exact same PoE switch that my Linksys APs are connected to as well.

Message 1 of 4
sirpreis
Initiate

Betreff: WAX620, Connection speed?

Ok, I guess the connection speed was probably due to me being stupid. I changed the channel bandwith setting to 20/40/80 MHz and then my devices get the 866 Mbps 🙂 Hopefully I get those setting resets after reboot and firmware update issues sorted as well.

Message 2 of 4
Murillo014
Aspirant

The Netgear WAX620 features a powerful internal antenna that can transfer up to 2400 Mb/s over 5.0 GHz and 1200 Mb/s at 2.4 GHz frequency.

Message 3 of 4
jasondunn
Apprentice

You and I had the same problem, so thanks for providing me with the solution. I'm getting MUCH better speeds after making the same setting change. Why the heck isn't this the default...!?!?!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements