× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630 WiFi Performance Slow

MediaRenegades
Aspirant

WAX630 WiFi Performance Slow

Wax630 Wifi Performance is considerably slow.  Max speed ~300Mbps MAX  on a 1Gig connection.

I have tried updating firmware, downgrading firmware, 20mhz, 40mhz, 80mhz, wpa2, wpa3, turning off on and off PMF when on WPA2.
Changed Environment density to 4, even tried switching from AX into AC mode, tried various different channels and DFS.  Enabling and disabling 802.11h.  Adjusting DTIM, and beacon interval.  ARP, broadcast enhancements.   

With any configuration setting speed will go down but never above ~300Mbps.  

LAN Speed test on the AP is ~900Mbps down and up.

I have tested wireless speed test with a windows pc, macbook pro, iphone, ipad, and android all with the same results.

Have tried switching Cat6 Cables... even tried Cat8 cable..

Tried plugging direct into router from the switch.  Running a TP-Link Router ER7206 and a 10G TP-Link Switch.

Did not try to connect it via POE.  It is connected using power adapter.

Should of known there would be issues since it was on sale 🤣

At this point my only option smash and trash?

Speed test directly on the AP  also all my devices that are wired gets the same results

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.39.26 AM.png

WiFi Speed Test on a Macbook Pro and also on all devices shows roughly the same speed.  Doesn't matter if i am 5 inches away or 20 feet

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.37.09 AM.png

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX630 WiFi Performance Slow

@MediaRenegades wrote:

Wax630 Wifi Performance is considerably slow.  Max speed ~300Mbps MAX  on a 1Gig connection.

I have tested wireless speed test with a windows pc, macbook pro, iphone, ipad, and android all with the same results.

There are virtually hundreds variants possible on this device list. Honestly: Simply useless.

Face it: With every new WiFi generation e.g. the consumer vendors are releasing on the latest best greatest funky speedy turbo WiFi generation, there are virtually thousands of similar complaints like yours in the Internet. For years....

The possible performance - before randomly play around firmware versions, settings. You might fight ghosts. This is WiFi - what is possible depends on the access point, the individual radios, bands, the spectrum of clients on all these devices. Then, the results can vary massively (e.g. Windows) of outdated WiFi adapter drivers are in place. On all the devices you list, everything from a link rate of 150 Mb/s on a 1x1 radio (allowing link rates in the 70...90 Mb/s range) to the nowadays common 2x2 wireless client adapters (making the 3x3 radios on the early MBP to 1/3 useless, rest of the device makers installed just 2x2 devices, just like the new Apple devices today).

For iMac Pro, I suggest you start here: MacBook Pro Wi-Fi specification details  

What link rates do these wireless clients show when connected, and then to which radio?

technically, and from the marketing view, the WAX630 is an AX6000 system.

5.0GHz H: 2400Mbps
5.0GHz L: 2400Mbps
2.4GHz: 1200Mbps

4x4 in 5.0GHz H
4x4 in 5.0GHz L
4x4 in 2.4GHz

5GHz H: 20/40/80MHz
5GHz L: 20/40/80MHz

Message 2 of 6
MediaRenegades
Aspirant

In order to troubleshoot this issue.  I turned off each 2 bands left 1 on for all three bands.  When going into 2.4band speed drops to 100Mbps.  

5ghz band regardless of device gets 300Max Mbps.

All devices are connecting into a WiFi standard that is more than capable of 2-300Mbps

Whether 2x2 Wifi 5(ac) , 2x2 Wifi 6(ax) or 4x4 Wifi6 (ax)  all are capable of greater than 200-300Mbps . ....  I am not connecting a device that is only capable of Wifi abg and expecting 800Mbps all are realistic expectations.  

All devices tested are AC or AX standard 

As far as the variables in the enviorment with signals mixing, congestion, density etc etc.....

This AP is a replacement for an older ASUS Router with Wifi 5(ac) and that unit is able to out perform the netgear. Whether using 80Mhz and 5ghz band the asus unit out performs it in everyway.  So I would assume that if one unit is capable of the speed in the enviornment so would the netgear.

The netgear was suppose to be an upgrade that way I can support newer devices with Wifi6.   With us upgrading some PCs at the office and hiring more employees needed something to support the staff.

Ive tried all three bands and all different MHz  range.  20-40Mhz with 2.4 and 40-80 with 5ghz High and Low and using low ch. , mid ch. and highest ch.  for each band.

Coming on this forum is my absolute last option.

I guess my next step would be to return it.  

Below is a screenshot of two devices connected to the AP and it advertises 800Mbps down and 7-800Mbps up.  One device is 2x2 AC and other other is 2x2 AX also not pictured but the android device is a 4x4 AX i beleive.... its a S22 Samsung..  Might be 2x2

AX.JPG

AX2.JPG

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The newer S22 can do HX80, certainly the higher end plus and ultra (names from wally brain) are certainly AX systems3, capable for HT160. lLink rates look correct in the 800 mb/s range for both the AC notebook as well as the AX mobile. Keep in mind this is WiFi, not Ethernet, so the throughput can never reach the link rate. however, some 450...550 mb/s should be feasible.

*Very unlikely mobiles are anything different than 2x2 - by far to much power required (and by far to expensive).

@RaghuHR please assist your customer

Message 4 of 6
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @MediaRenegades  We need to see what is the configuration and logs. Is there anyway you can do the  air packet capture?

Please download the detailed logs from the monitoring page and send it for us via PM? You can use cloud storage tool to upload the detailed logs.

Thanks,

Raghu.

Message 5 of 6
MediaRenegades
Aspirant

Yes how much transmitted data and length of time would you require?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements