× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630 mDNS or multicast printer discovery issues

jtm0n3y
Tutor

WAX630 mDNS or multicast printer discovery issues

I have a WAX630E AP with two separate SSIDs on different VLANs. I can't print or scan to a printer that's on the other VLAN if i'm connected wirelessly. If I'm hard-wired into my switch on a separate VLAN and traffic isn't traversing the Access Point at all, I can print just fine. This leads me to believe there is a multicast issue between VLANs within the netgear AP. I can't find any settings to resolve this issue or a history of anyone else having this issue. I suspect this AP is too new for anyone to run into similar issues segmenting their IoT devices. Is anyone aware of anything I can try? It has to be a limitation of the AP (firmware, maybe?) since the issue is not present if i'm not connected wirelessly. Currently running 10.1.9.2 firmware.

Policies/ACL allow traffic between VLANs on my gateway/router (fortigate 61e). I can ping the printer as well as view ink and health levels through snmp...but print and scan jobs do not work until i drop from the segmented wireless ssid/vlan and jump onto the same ssid/vlan that the printer lives on.

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX630 mDNS or multicast printer discovery issues

@jtm0n3y wrote:

This leads me to believe there is a multicast issue between VLANs within the netgear AP.

The AP does not neither any multicast forwarding between the SSIDs resp. VLANs. nor forward to the other VLAN.

Reads more like the multicast is not forwarded to the VLAN to the security appliance, or in case it's a wireless printer from the security appliance to the other VLAN and to the AP.

it should not make any difference from the wired VLAN to the other resp. from one SSID to another VLAN - data path is the very same.

Message 2 of 5
jtm0n3y
Tutor

That would make sense if printing didn’t work between vlans whenever I’m hard-wired to a different vlan other than what the printer is on. This issue wasn’t present prior to installing the netgear AP. Both SSIDs previously resided on fortiwifi APs (replaced with the netgear wax630e because of ongoing connection reliability issues). Everything works wirelessly between vlans with the exception of printing and scanning. I can even ping the printer and view it’s status and settings through snmp.
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@jtm0n3y wrote:
That would make sense if printing didn’t work between vlans whenever I’m hard-wired to a different vlan other than what the printer is on. --- 

No doubts about your obviously nicely working VLANs on the wired network. Suspect the AP does block some multicast it should not block between the mapped SSID and the VLAN. Sorry to be unclear before.

Message 4 of 5
jtm0n3y
Tutor

Curious to see if anyone else has this issue. I know with unifi you can enable mdns to resolve this but I’m not seeing any settings in the netgear AP webui similar to that.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements