× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630 - two SSIDs, one bridged, the other NATed

Retired_Member
Not applicable

WAX630 - two SSIDs, one bridged, the other NATed

Hello,
we're trying to setup some WAX630 with two SSIDs.
Everything is working fine, until you set SSID 1 to bridged mode and SSID 2 to NAT mode, then clients in SSID 1 don't get IPs (v4) assigned. it seems like ipv4 isn't working at all in the bridged network.
is this even possible?
only SSID 2 then is working as aspected...

and how set some ip/domain filter, for specific networks/SSIDs? it seems there only filter for all networks, which is kind of dumb...?

thanks in advance and have a great day
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX630 - two SSIDs, one bridged, the other NATed

Guess there is some big misunderstanding.

This WAX630 is connected to a wired network, so the SSID1 is supposed to work like a normal AP (technically indeed a bridge from the radio to the wired network). A WiFi bridge configuration would create a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) where a WAX6xx would run without a wired Ethernet connection to the primary network, the uplink to the wired LAN is established over a wireless connection, forming a WDS from the WAX6xx satellite or extender over a a WDS to a WAX6xx root AP which is connected direct to the Ethernet LAN. Note: The Wireless Bridge (WDS) configuration is documented in the fine documentation Insight Managed WiFi 6 AX6000 Tri-band Multi-Gig Access Point Model WAX630 User Manual p.206 ff. under "Set up a WiFi bridge between access points". Doubt this is what you are behind.

A SSID for a WAX630 operating as plain access point is shown in the find documentation starting from p.53, "Set up an open or secure WiFi network". I guess this is what you want to do with the SSID1. yet another simple AP config.

Indeed, the URL Filter is active WAX6xx system-wide, not imited to just select SSID and/or VLAN.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@schumakuthank you

Maybe my initial post was a bit confusing. sorry for that.

We don't want to configure a Wireless Bridge/ WDS. i just was really puzzled, why clients don't get IP(v4) address, when connected to SSID 1 bridged network, while SSID 2 is configured as NAT (SSID 2 works fine in this scenario).

But maybe it's not meant to be like that.

Anyways, my solution was to set up an additional vlan for SSID 2...which i should have done right at the beginning (i thought i could be lazy...).

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No problem 8-)

In my understanding (and based on similar set-up of course), you can operate one or multiple SSIDs (technically bridged) to the same VLAN. Adding a NAT capability on the WAX SSID can also use the very same SSID and IP subnet as the target for the many2one NAT. Same applies to configurations with Insight Mesh (multiple wire-less WAX satellite [no LAN connection to the primary network] groups which can be assigned to a root WAX (and a backup root). Afraid, no practical experience with the classic manual pure WDS-bridge config.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements