× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX630E firmware update failing again

RainofTerra
Guide

WAX630E firmware update failing again

When I bought these three units in October I couldn’t get them to firmware update except my by removing them from Insight, updating the firmware through the web ui, and then repairing them to insight. Now there are new updates (I’m on 10.2 still) and they similarly just can’t be installed.

How can I get upgrade logs to see why it is failing? I really don’t want to have to remove these devices from management every time a new firmware comes out.

Previous issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WAX630E-Firmware-Update-Failure/m-p/2264528#M1003...
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RainofTerra
Guide

I had to remove from Insight and boot to the backup firmware (v10.1.5.1 vs v10.2.0.19) and finally I was able to upgrade to v10.3.2.4. I really hope this issue is fixed now, I'm so tired of updating the firmware on three devices taking a couple hours of back and forth.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Does it give you an error? (what is that error)

are you able to log into each one via their ip address and manually update through its gui using the ip address?

Message 2 of 5
RainofTerra
Guide

I tried manually updating (without removing it from insight) with the latest firmware and when I check in insight after it reboots it’s the same version as before and it just says “Firmware update failed.” I’m going to see if there are better logs somewhere. I really don’t want to remove these things from insight every time a new firmware is released.
Message 3 of 5
RainofTerra
Guide

I had to remove from Insight and boot to the backup firmware (v10.1.5.1 vs v10.2.0.19) and finally I was able to upgrade to v10.3.2.4. I really hope this issue is fixed now, I'm so tired of updating the firmware on three devices taking a couple hours of back and forth.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Does it give you an error? (what is that error)

Insight won't give any comprehensive details, the update can be marked as failed for whatever reason.

@plemans wrote:

are you able to log into each one via their ip address and manually update through its gui using the ip address?

There is no need to. You can't push the firmware by device using the local Web UI. Head to Insight -> Firmware https://insight.netgear.com/#/firmware/available and check the status. If you find a device was not updated, you can push the firmware from Insight later again. 

We're updating some 80'000 Windows systems on a regular base, or have just updated some Insight customer sites with some 250 WAX. No panic please... No rush! Not aware Netgear had ever requested us to trick around removing devices from Insight and almost braking a leg.

Worst case: Trigger a PoE restart, and let Insight push it again. Yes, have some Instant Mesh devices on a site, in some edges of the network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements