× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630EP with RBKE963

Anzenchitai
Aspirant

WAX630EP with RBKE963

Hi guys, I wanna setup a WAX630EP at the bedroom to provide a local 6E access boost there. First thing first, is this compatible with RBKE963? Second, do I need to install it in the ceiling? Most importantly, If and only if they are not wirelessly compatible, can I use a CAT8 to connect them and make them work together? I happen to have extra CAT8 in the house…

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX630EP with RBKE963

@Anzenchitai wrote:

I wanna setup a WAX630EP at the bedroom to provide a local 6E access boost there. First thing first, is this compatible with RBKE963?

If you expect the complete management integration, you need an  Orbi WiFi 6E Satellites (RBSE960).

If you want to operate the WAX630E as a standalone AP, it must be wired, and you need to configure everything manually, keep the config in sync manually ref. VLAN IDs, SSIDs, passphrases, ...

@Anzenchitai wrote:

Second, do I need to install it in the ceiling?xxxx Orbi WiFi 6E Satellites (RBSE960)

The WAX630E can be installed on a ceiling or to a wall.

@Anzenchitai wrote:

Most importantly, If and only if they are not wirelessly compatible, can I use a CAT8 to connect them and make them work together? I happen to have extra CAT8 in the house…

The All WAX6xx (and the essential WAX2xx) don't offer the Orbi functionality, no Orbi backhaul,  ... crazy anyway to think about operating such a performant tri-band system on a wireless backhaul. Cat8 cabling might be nice in 10 or 20 years. My 25 year old cabling is from the 1 GHz class, and by far not anywhere near to these high frequencies. 1 GbE runs on 100 MHz, 2.5 GbE runs on ... yeh 100 MHz bandwidth on each cable pair (this is why legacy wiring with CAT5E is sufficient). 5 GbE does require 200 MHz bandwidth (this is why CAT6 wiring is sufficient), 10 GbE does run on 400 MHz bandwidth, a Cat6 is fine for up to 55 meters, Cat6e is required for full 100 meters, but requires the full shielding to be grounded, e.g. on both ends of an installation. Typical 10 GbE with patch cables does not provide this kind of grounding for each pair shield.

While there are some draft standards for 25 GbE and 40 GbE one can doubt these will ever gain momentum, fiber is much better suited for this than copper cabling..

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements