× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WC7520 Captive Portal EULA Text Issue on Internet Explorer

SJHCVA
Guide

WC7520 Captive Portal EULA Text Issue on Internet Explorer

G'day!

We've just been setting up the Capitive Portal on our NETGEAR WC7520 wireless controller.

For some reason the EULA section doesn't display properly on Windows devices when they join our guest (BYOD) network, specifically in Internet Explorer it seems.  The EULA text comes up, but in a solid sentance that isn't wrapping in the box correctly.  This means it cannot be read before users accept/enter their email address...

I've tried using Chrome and Firefox and they seem to display the box correctly, so you get a scroll bar to navigate down the text as intended.  Obviously most Windows Phone devices won't have that option when they join the guest WiFi though.  And we can't guarantee that any guests/visitors that bring in equipment will use those browsers either.

I've just updated the firmware on the controller to the latest version (2.5.0.39) but the issue is still there.

Is there anything we can do about this?  Or will we have to wait for a future firmware release where it might be addressed?  I did wonder if we could use HTML in that box, but I haven't really been able to locate any useful information via the Google.

Many thanks

SJH

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi JohnRo

Wow, you are ON IT my friend! Smiley Very Happy

We were indeed sent the latest firmware, after stating in writing that we wouldn't duplicate or otherwise distribute it outside of our organisation etc. Smiley Happy

They said that because there were only a couple of changes in it they wouldn't be releasing it to the general public via the website, but the changes would eventually have come out in a later firmware version.

I was able to apply the firmware to our wireless controller this morning, and so far all the devices that have connected to the guest Wi-Fi have been presented with the EULA and the text has wrapped correctly etc.  We've tried on a Mac laptop, Windows laptop, Windows Phone, iPhone and a basic Android device.  So I think that's us sorted n regards to this issue now Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Dan

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
SJHCVA
Guide

To hopefully help illustrate, here's a screenshot of the EULA viewed from a Surface 3 on Windows 10.

There are supposed to be 3 paragraphs of text, but as you can see, the wrapping isn't working so you get 3 sentances you can't read and no way to scroll.

CP_EULA_01.png

Message 2 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SJHCVA, 

Please contact our Support Team regarding this as it looks an issue to me, it might need intervention from the engineering team. It appears that you have already isolated it  properly. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 10
SJHCVA
Guide

Just to keep this updated...

NETGEAR engineers have re-created this issue in the lab and have now developed some new firmware.  It's currently in the beta stage but should be available in a final release within a few weeks Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SJHCVA, 

Thanks for the update! I'm sure this will help a lot of users who is experiencing the same issue. 

Cheers, 

Message 5 of 10
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi there

Just thought I'd pop in with another quick update.  I've been checking back on the NETGEAR Support Download site for months now, but I'm still yet to see this new firmware update we were told was coming 😞

The latest version listed still appears to be 2.5.0.39, unless I'm missing something...

Kind regards

Dan

Message 6 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

I agree, I did not see a beta posted yet for the new firmware. I don't see any news that there will be a new release at the moment. What you can do is to update your case and follow up with the Support Team. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

I have checked the case follow up and saw that you have been sent a beta FW. Please also update this thread and give your feedback on the latest FW version. 

Thanks,

Message 8 of 10
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi JohnRo

Wow, you are ON IT my friend! Smiley Very Happy

We were indeed sent the latest firmware, after stating in writing that we wouldn't duplicate or otherwise distribute it outside of our organisation etc. Smiley Happy

They said that because there were only a couple of changes in it they wouldn't be releasing it to the general public via the website, but the changes would eventually have come out in a later firmware version.

I was able to apply the firmware to our wireless controller this morning, and so far all the devices that have connected to the guest Wi-Fi have been presented with the EULA and the text has wrapped correctly etc.  We've tried on a Mac laptop, Windows laptop, Windows Phone, iPhone and a basic Android device.  So I think that's us sorted n regards to this issue now Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Dan

Message 9 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

I'm glad that you issue is now sorted out. I guess they will release a newer one including this fix once they have compiled all of the issues on older firmware versions. I encourage you to mark your post above as "Accept as Solution". So others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements