× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WC7520 SSIDs with VLANs

dojobel
Tutor

WC7520 SSIDs with VLANs

Hi folks,

I have a Netgear WC7520 that I've been using for a long time successfully both in work and home environments. The need has arisen for a couple of extra SSIDs using tagged VLANs for Guest wi-fi and a testing network. The VLANs are as follows:

VLAN 104 - Home Network

VLAN 107 - Guest Network

VLAN 108 - Testing Network

I have a Netgear M5300-28G with L3 license acting as the core switch and L3 Router, it is also acting as a DHCP Relay to 2x Windows 2012 R2 Servers (DHCP is in HA on these). 

The WLC and WAPs communicate over VLAN 104, along with almost everything else on the network. This part works fine, but the other 2 SSIDs do not - when connecting, clients cannot obtain an IP address. Everything on the network itself appears to be fine; I can set an untagged port for both VLANs 107 and 108 on any switch in the house and get an IP address in seconds. It's only over Wireless that the problem seems to exist.

I have tagged the 2 VLANs 107 and 108 on all of the WAP's ethernet ports and also on the port that connects the WLC to the switch. I've also tried shifting the controller to a different switch (a GS748Tv4).

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to do to fix this? It's worth mentioning the support from Netgear on this controller ended long ago, so I'm limited to Community support on this one.

Model: WC7520|ProSafe 20-AP Wireless Controller,WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
dojobel
Tutor

Re: WC7520 SSIDs with VLANs

@DaneA,

Well, I've finally gotten to the bottom of the mystery and it was far simpler than I thought. The "fault" as it were was a mis-configuration of the DHCP Server on my 2x Server 2012 R2 VMs. I had all of my scopes sitting under a superscope for organisation and tidiness but it turns out that changes the behaviour of DHCP server.

After much research online I found a Superscope is used when you have multiple subnets on the same physical/logical network (i.e. no VLANs but multiple subnets). Going into DHCP, right-clicking each scope and choosing "Remove from Superscope" fixed the problem.

Thanks for all of your help!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dojobel,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly check the settings of the WC7520 if VLAN 107 and VLAN 108 are both declared on their respective SSIDs.  Kindly read pages 77 to 87 of the WC7520 reference manual here about Managing Security Profiles and Profile Groups.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
dojobel
Tutor

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for your help! I had set those VLANs on the Profiles in the Controller, and just double-checked that they are both correct now when you prompted and everything is right.

I stumbled across that documentation when I was searching for answers earlier, as far as I can tell I've done everything right (Profiles set with VLAN ID, VLAN is tagged on ports going to all WAPs and the Controller).

An interesting discovery I've made tonight is that the DHCP Addresses are being handed to clients if the DHCP server is in the same VLAN as the SSID. For example, if I added a DHCP Server directly on VLAN 107, clients can receive an address. Currently, I am using a DHCP Relay so as not to multi-home the domain controller across a ridiculous number of VLANs.

The DHCP relay is working for all VLANs (about 6 or 7) on Wired devices, and VLAN 104 works on Wireless with the Relay. If it's relevant, the DHCP Relay is running on a Netgear M5300-28G.

Cheers,

dojobel.

Message 3 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dojobel,

Let us try this.  Kindly set a static IP address to the wireless clients that you want to connect on the respective SSIDs of VLAN 107 and VLAN 108.  Then, check if you will be able to get a reply from other devices connected within the same VLAN as well as check if you will be able to go online wirelessly.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
dojobel
Tutor

Hi DaneA,

It works with the static address - I can ping the gateway and other devices 🙂

It sure is a confusing one because I would suspect the DHCP relay on the M5300 being at fault, but Wired clients are working fine so I'm not so sure.

Cheers,

dojobel

Message 5 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dojobel,

Thanks for the update.  The port on the M5300-28G switch that is directly connected to the WC7520 should be set as tagged (T) port.  Kindly double-check it.  Also, double-check if the port(s) on the M5300-28G switch connected to the access points are also set as tagged (T) ports.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
dojobel
Tutor

Hi @DaneA,

I've just checked and the port is currently configured as a Trunk port and permits the VLANs 104 (Untagged), 107 (tagged), 108 (tagged). I can ping the M5300 when I use a static address so I think those might be working okay, otherwise my other option is to use a General port instead of a Trunk. Let me know what you think.

I've also moved the WC7520 to a GS748Tv4 Switch and tagged the VLANs on the ports but it doesn't seem to work there either. I'm starting to think my culprit may be the M5300 in some way - I've just tried to use a Virtual Machine attached to VLAN 107 via a Tagged VLAN and now I'm getting an IP address from the wrong VLAN (VLAN 104). Nothing is accessible though, unless I give it a static address matching VLAN 107.

Message 7 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dojobel,

Thanks for the response.  What is the current firmware version of the M5300-28G switch?

I just want to verify, what DHCP relay did you configure on the M5300-28G switch?  Is it DHCP L2 Relay or DHCP L3 Relay? 

Kindly access and read the articles below about DHCP L2 Relay:

What is a DHCP L2 relay and how does it work with my managed switch?

How do I enable a DHCP L2 relay using the web interface on my managed switch?

Here below is the article about DHCP L3 Relay:

How do I configure a DHCP L3 relay using the web interface on my managed switch?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 12
dojobel
Tutor

@DaneA,

Firmware on the M5300 is the latest current - 11.0.0.31.

As for L2 or L3 relay, I'm actually not sure because it works a little differently in the M5300 v11 firmware. Those Knowledgebase articles (and all documentation I can find for the M5300) is for v10 and below, which has a completely different UI and different options to what's in the documentation

I can post some screenshots of the Web UI or parts of my text configuration if that helps?

Cheers,

dojobel

Message 9 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dojobel,

You may post screenshots as well as it would be best if you post an image of your detailed network setup on how everything is connected. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
dojobel
Tutor

@DaneA,

Well, I've finally gotten to the bottom of the mystery and it was far simpler than I thought. The "fault" as it were was a mis-configuration of the DHCP Server on my 2x Server 2012 R2 VMs. I had all of my scopes sitting under a superscope for organisation and tidiness but it turns out that changes the behaviour of DHCP server.

After much research online I found a Superscope is used when you have multiple subnets on the same physical/logical network (i.e. no VLANs but multiple subnets). Going into DHCP, right-clicking each scope and choosing "Remove from Superscope" fixed the problem.

Thanks for all of your help!

Message 11 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dojobel,

Thanks for the update.  I'm happy to know that you were able to figure it out and solved the problem. 🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.  

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements