× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WC7520 is bricking WNDAP360 as it updates to its firmware

texusn
Aspirant

WC7520 is bricking WNDAP360 as it updates to its firmware

I am running into an issue migrating WNDAP360 APs to WC7520 Wireless LAN Controller.  So far it has bricked 2 of the 3 APs as it updated their firmware.  

The WC7520 is running firmware 2.5.0.47.  

Here is the process I followed.  Keep in mind these were working APs.

1. Factory reset AP.

2. Updated AP to 3.5.23.0.

3. Updated AP to 3.7.9.0.

4. Set AP to be in standalone mode.  Causes reboot.

5. Set AP IP address.

6. Set AP management VLAN since I don't use 1.

7. Enabled SNMP.

8. Connected directly to WC7520.

9. WC7520 detected AP and decided it needed to receive its special firmware.

10. WC7520  says "AP is rebooting" but AP just goes to flashing amber light and is bricked.  

What am I doing wrong? 

Not looking forward to getting them switched out but afraid this will keep happening.  

Thanks in advance!

Model: WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WC7520 is bricking WNDAP360 as it updates to its firmware

Hi,

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. We could see two problems from the details you have provide.

1. VLAN Configuration.

- Management VLAN and Untagged VLAN should be same, in your case Management VLAN is 4 but untagged VLAN is 1. Please make sure that both of these params are equal and untaggedVLAN is checked.

2. Configuring the Controller IP properly in AP IP Settings.

- In AP   Configuration->System-> page, you will see the field Controller IP, please put the controller IP 192.168.4.21

As you don't have the access to AP now, you can follow the procedure below to bring up the network from the scratch.

Controller recovery steps.

1. Hard reset the Controller by pressing Reset button more than 10 seconds
  2. After the hard reset, Controller will get assigned to default IP 192.168.0.250
  3. Login to Controller using default ip i.e 192.168.0.250 (by configuring laptop with static ip 192.168.0.xx) 

username "admin" and password is "password" 

1. Now configure the controller ip address as 

Static IP :           192.168.4.21

Subnet mask      255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.4.1 (or According to your network)

Primary DNS Server -According to your network

Management VLAN 4

Untagged VLAN   4(It should be Checked)

5. Apply the changes--> Controller will save the changes made

Note: At this point in time you will not be able to access the controller UI because the controller and laptop are in two different subnets. Please make sure the laptops IP is changed to something like this 192.168.4.xx (where xx is the unique number). for example the laptop IP you can configure as 192.168.4.20

AP recovery Steps

1. Hard reset the AP by pressing Reset button more than 10 seconds
  2. After the hard reset, AP will get assigned to default IP 192.168.0.100
  3. Login to AP using default ip i.e 192.168.0.100 (by configuring laptop with static ip 192.168.0.xx) 

4.Go AP Configuration-> System -> IP/VLAN tab configure the following:

Ip Address    : 192.168.4.32

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.4.1 (or According to your network)

Under VLAN settings please configure the following:

Management VLAN :  4 

Untagged VLAN       :  4 (It should be checked)

Under the Configuration->System->Controller Settings page configure the following:

Controller IP

1. Apply the changes 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for your feedback,

1. What is the management VLAN and its subnet.

2. Is management VLAN of AP and controllers same? if not you have to make it same.

3. If you have configured the static IP for AP, in AP IP settings you have to enter the controller IP.

4. If you have configured the DHCP IP for AP and controller is not the DHCP server(you are using external DHCP server). you have to enable option 43 with the controller IP in the external DHCP server. If controller is acting as a DHCP server you don't need to do it.

5. It look like the AP is not getting the IP, because there is no DHCP server onthe VLAN you have configured.

6. Please try to login to the AP(Use the IP you set it to earlier, if not use the default IP 192.168.0.100).

7. Please check the firmware version the AP is running from the Configuration->upgrade page.

8. It has to show 2.5.0.47 if the AP is succfully upgraded with the light AP firmware.

9. After confirming that the AP is running the light AP firmware, please go th Configuration->system page and configure the IP settings.

10. Make sure management VLAN and untagged VLAN are same and check the untagged VLAN.

11. Configure the Controller IP with the current IP of the controller. 

If the above steps are not helping, please can you provide the following information.

1. What is the IP of the controller.

2. What is the management VLAN of the controller.

3. What is the untagged VLAN configuration in controller.

4. What is the AP IP and VLAN configuration.

5. Are you running the DHCP server or not, if yes on what subnet you are running it.

Message 2 of 9
texusn
Aspirant

I have replied to each of your items.  I posted your message and then added my responses in line.  Thank you.

1. What is the management VLAN and its subnet.

• I am using a management VLAN of 4 and the subnet is 255.255.255.0

2. Is management VLAN of AP and controllers same? if not you have to make it same.

• Yes.  Prior to attempting to connect the AP to the Controller both were set to have a management VLAN of 4.

3. If you have configured the static IP for AP, in AP IP settings you have to enter the controller IP.

• The AP was configured with a static IP of 192.168.4.32.  The controller has a static IP of 192.168.4.21.  The controller found the AP at the IP address it was set to.

4. If you have configured the DHCP IP for AP and controller is not the DHCP server(you are using external DHCP server). you have to enable option 43 with the controller IP in the external DHCP server. If controller is acting as a DHCP server you don't need to do it.

• All devices were set static and DHCP was not in play.

5. It look like the AP is not getting the IP, because there is no DHCP server onthe VLAN you have configured.

• AP was set to static IP prior to connecting to the wireless controller.  The wireless controller found the AP on its static IP when it scanned for APs. 

6. Please try to login to the AP(Use the IP you set it to earlier, if not use the default IP 192.168.0.100).

• Since the wireless controller bricked the APs when it tried to update to the lite firmware I am no longer able to log into them.  They have the flashing amber light now but were working before the wireless controller tried to update to the lite firmware.

7. Please check the firmware version the AP is running from the Configuration->upgrade page.

• Since the wireless controller bricked the APs when it tried to update to the light firmware I am no longer able to log into them.  They have the flashing amber light.
  • Prior to attaching to the wireless controller, the APs were are 3.7.9.0.

8. It has to show 2.5.0.47 if the AP is succfully upgraded with the light AP firmware.

• Since the wireless controller bricked the APs when it tried to update to the light firmware I am no longer able to log into them.  They have the flashing amber light.

9. After confirming that the AP is running the light AP firmware, please go th Configuration->system page and configure the IP settings.

10. Make sure management VLAN and untagged VLAN are same and check the untagged VLAN.

• The management VLAN was set to 4.
  • I had left the untagged VLAN as 1.  Are you saying this should also be set to 4 (in my case) to work properly?

11. Configure the Controller IP with the current IP of the controller. 

• The wireless controller is using a static IP of 192.168.4.21.

If the above steps are not helping, please can you provide the following information.

1. What is the IP of the controller.

• The wireless controller is using a static IP of 192.168.4.21.

2. What is the management VLAN of the controller.

• The management VLAN was set to 4.

3. What is the untagged VLAN configuration in controller.

• The untagged VLAN is 1 and was checked.

4. What is the AP IP and VLAN configuration.

• The AP was set to 192.168.4.32 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.
  • The management VLAN was set to 4 and the untagged was set to 1 and checked.

5. Are you running the DHCP server or not, if yes on what subnet you are running it.

• I am running a DHCP server but in this case, the devices were all set to static IPs.
  • The IP of the wireless controller and APs are not in conflict with any other devices.
Message 3 of 9
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. We could see two problems from the details you have provide.

1. VLAN Configuration.

- Management VLAN and Untagged VLAN should be same, in your case Management VLAN is 4 but untagged VLAN is 1. Please make sure that both of these params are equal and untaggedVLAN is checked.

2. Configuring the Controller IP properly in AP IP Settings.

- In AP   Configuration->System-> page, you will see the field Controller IP, please put the controller IP 192.168.4.21

As you don't have the access to AP now, you can follow the procedure below to bring up the network from the scratch.

Controller recovery steps.

1. Hard reset the Controller by pressing Reset button more than 10 seconds
  2. After the hard reset, Controller will get assigned to default IP 192.168.0.250
  3. Login to Controller using default ip i.e 192.168.0.250 (by configuring laptop with static ip 192.168.0.xx) 

1. Now configure the controller ip address as 

Static IP :           192.168.4.21

Subnet mask      255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.4.1 (or According to your network)

Management VLAN 4

Untagged VLAN   4(It should be Checked)

5. Apply the changes--> Controller will save the changes made

Note: At this point in time you will not be able to access the controller UI because the controller and laptop are in two different subnets. Please make sure the laptops IP is changed to something like this 192.168.4.xx (where xx is the unique number). for example the laptop IP you can configure as 192.168.4.20

AP recovery Steps

1. Hard reset the AP by pressing Reset button more than 10 seconds
  2. After the hard reset, AP will get assigned to default IP 192.168.0.100
  3. Login to AP using default ip i.e 192.168.0.100 (by configuring laptop with static ip 192.168.0.xx) 

4.Go AP Configuration-> System -> IP/VLAN tab configure the following:

Ip Address    : 192.168.4.32

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.4.1 (or According to your network)

Under VLAN settings please configure the following:

Management VLAN :  4 

Untagged VLAN       :  4 (It should be checked)

Under the Configuration->System->Controller Settings page configure the following:

Controller IP

1. Apply the changes 

Message 4 of 9
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Did you get a chance to try out on the things we have suggested?. Please let us know if you need further help from us.

thanks,

laxman. 

Message 5 of 9
texusn
Aspirant

Greetings @LaxmankumarG,

Thank you for the information. Since my APs are bricked (flashing amber) I am waiting for replacements to arrive.  When they do I will set the untagged VLAN and the Controller IP as you have suggested and try again.  

Message 6 of 9
texusn
Aspirant

Greetings @LaxmankumarG,

My replacement AP arrived today and I was able to configure it.  I did as you recommended and set the untagged VLAN to 4.  After losing access I changed my switch configuration and was able to connect back to the AP.  At that point, I then was able to connect to the controller.  It saw the device and upgraded the firmware.  It did not brick the device this time.  I did get worried at one point as the light was flashing fast amber for a while but I think it was applying the configuration.  It was not the slower amber flash like the bricked units had.

One thing to note is you can not set the controller IP until the lite firmware is loaded as the field does not exist prior to that.  So I was not able to do this before connecting to the controller.  After it connected the controller appeared to have set this filed.

Thank you for all your help as this was frustrating.  

Message 7 of 9
texusn
Aspirant

Greetings @LaxmankumarG,

On a side note, I was able to just recover the two that were "bricked" using the controller.  Even though they were flashing slow amber from the untagged VLAN setting not being set, once I configured the switch to the port to treat VLAN 4 as untagged the controller was able to locate them and complete the process.  They are now all green!  Thanks again!

Model: WNDAP360|ProSafe Wireless-N Access Point
Message 8 of 9
LaxmankumarG
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Good to know that the network is up and running now and you are able to recover couple of APs in bricked state. Please feel free to reach out to us for any help.

thanks,

laxman.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements