× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WC7600 cannot upgrade WNDAP660 firmware

sethbgm
Aspirant

WC7600 cannot upgrade WNDAP660 firmware

Hi!

I have 10 WNDAP660 access points to use with the WC7600 wifi controller. Everything seems to be configured correctly and the 7600 can discover the access points fine, but when it tries to push out the firmware, it tries multiple times and then just says "Firmware upgrade failed". Any ideas as to what is going on?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sethbgm,

Here are my questions:

a. Did you perform a factory reset after you have upgraded the firmware of the WC7600 to v4.1.0.13?  It is recommended to reset the device back to factory default settings after a successful firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.  

b.  Were you able to try to run the Discovery Wizard?  

It would be best if you have upgraded the firmware of the WC7600 in a ladderized manner up to the latest version 5.5.1.0.  Be sure to follow the Upgrade Matrix by reading this link.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sethbgm, 

Welcome to the community! 

What firmware version is it  currently running and what firmware version are you trying to update it to? There are older firmware versions that needs to be updated on a ladderized manners. Please see this release notes for example. 

Let us know what happens. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 8
sethbgm
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! The 660 wireless routers were running the required firmware, so I decided to upgrade the firmware on the WC7600 controller from 4.0.0.33 to 4.1.0.13 and that seemed to do the trick. Now it has no issues pushing out the firmware to the 660s, but something is still wrong because when I log into any of the wireless routers, the controller IP is just listed as 0.0.0.0 and it's greyed out so I can't change it. On the controller's AP list, they show up as "Not connected".

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sethbgm,

Here are my questions:

a. Did you perform a factory reset after you have upgraded the firmware of the WC7600 to v4.1.0.13?  It is recommended to reset the device back to factory default settings after a successful firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.  

b.  Were you able to try to run the Discovery Wizard?  

It would be best if you have upgraded the firmware of the WC7600 in a ladderized manner up to the latest version 5.5.1.0.  Be sure to follow the Upgrade Matrix by reading this link.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
sethbgm
Aspirant

I didn't do a factory reset on the WC7600. The discovery wizard works though. I am able to find the APs and it is able to push the firmware out to them.

I will try what you recommended today and let you know how it goes. Thanks! 

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sethbgm,

I'm glad that the Discovery Wizard works. 🙂   Make sure to reset the WC7600 back to factory default settings after a successful firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
sethbgm
Aspirant

Now I have a new problem. When I upgraded from 4.1.0.13 to 5.0.0.26, I missed that note about changing the password if it had special characters... so I couldn't log in.  

I held in the hard reset button to restore everything back to factory settings. I know that it did reset because the IP address went back to the default, but I still cannot access with admin/password. When I enter those in, it just takes me straight back to the login prompt. What should I do now?

EDIT: False alarm. I gave another factory reset a shot and it worked that time. I'll let you know when I've got all the firmware up to date.

Message 7 of 8
sethbgm
Aspirant

Update: The firmware upgrades to the controller seemed to have solved all the issues! Thanks for all your help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements