Kurremkarmeruk
Follower

WC7600 wac720 firmware update failed

Hi,

I recently started working for a company that runs their wifi network over 20 AP's (mixed netgear models) and a WC7600 wireless controller. We have recently purchased 3 WAC730's to replace some of the older AP's that started failing.

After the WC7600 tried updating them to managed firmware all new WAC730's got stuck in a bootloop. I've managed to get them back to Standalone mode with the console port, but no matter how many times i try to get them working the moment our controller updates them they get stuck in bootloop again.

I suspect the previous manager of this system never used the migration firmware for the controller because at the time no WAC720's or 730's where used in the network.

I would like to roll back the controller to the migration firmware and then upgrade again, but i cannot find a readily available workflow. I have a few questions about this:

- Can i roll back directly to 5.5.1R or do i need to roll back to an earlier version?

- Do i need to connect my new WAC730's  once the rollback has been done, or can i wait untill after i do the final upgrade to 6.5.5?

- How do i find out my controller version?

Kind Regards, Joris.

Edit: Oh and i guess, can i find out somehow if they actually did or did not do the migration firmware?

Model: WAC730|3x3 Wireless-AC Access Points, WC7600|ProSafe Wireless Controller
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WC7600 wac720 firmware update failed

@Kurremkarmeruk,

@Kurremkarmeruk wrote:

- Can i roll back directly to 5.5.1R or do i need to roll back to an earlier version?

- Do i need to connect my new WAC730's  once the rollback has been done, or can i wait untill after i do the final upgrade to 6.5.5?

- How do i find out my controller version?

Do not roll back the firmware to an earlier version.  To know the current firmware version of the Active Partition and Backup Partition, go to Maintenance > Upgrade > Firmware Upgrade. 

What is the current firmware version of the Active Partition and Backup Partition?  If ever the firmware is not yet the latest version, I advised you to upgrade the firmware to v6.5.5.0.  Make sure to read and follow the steps and take note of the Upgrade Matrix indicated here

Also, are the WAC730/WAC720 able to get a valid IP address?  If not, is there a DHCP Server within your network?  

The WC7600 can function as the DHCP Server if in case there is no DHCP Server in your network.  Kindly read pages 107-109 of the WC7600 use rmanual here about DHCP Server.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points, WC7600|ProSafe Wireless Controller
Message 2 of 3
Aigoo
Aspirant

Re: WC7600 wac720 firmware update failed

In addition, make sure that your DHCP server supports DHCP Option 43. Alternatively, you can use the controller as your DHCP server for the AP. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements