× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WDNAP350 can it be saved?

sillysod81
Tutor

WDNAP350 can it be saved?

Hi all

I have a WDNAP350 that i was in the middle of a firmware upgrade when we had a power cut. It's now not working (surprise surprise), I was wondering if I can upload the firmware directly through the serial port and if so how would I go about this? I can buy a usb to serial cable, but I have no idea where or how to go from there... Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For extra details I can log into the gui via the web, but only through the wifi connection not the lan. I can't upload new firmware because it turns the wifi off half way through and I'm back to square one. I can configure it through the wifi, but when I attach it to the network it's not connecting and therefore not giving out ip addresses etc.

I'm new to all this as you can probably tell.

Thanks

Kev

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WDNAP350 can it be saved?

Hello sillysod81, 

It is a procedure for performing a hard reset, but I believe pushing the button while its off is to prepare it being held down when you will turn it on. The serial port is used by engineering only so I can't give any commands and it will void warranty if you try it yourself. The best thing you can do is to contact our Support Team, have it diagnosed or if necessary it will be replaced. ProSafe products has a lifetime hardware warranty, just submit a copy of the proof of purchase.

Thanks,   

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sillysod81, 

Welcome to the community! 

Try performing a factory reset using the instructions below: 

NOTE: Factory default button will be held down for a total of 90 seconds. 

1. While the AP is turned on, push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. 
  2. Turn off the AP, continue to push and hold the reset button, do this for another 30 seconds. 
  3. While the reset button is still being held down, turn on the unit. Wait for 30 more seconds before releasing the reset button. 
  4. Let the AP boot normally for about 2 minutes. 
  5. Connect an ethernet cable from the computer and try accessing the default IP of the AP (assigning a static IP is necessary). 

Let us know what happens. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 6
sillysod81
Tutor

Hi JohnRo

Thank you for your reply.

I followed your instructions, but still no web interface. Can I ask what holding in the reset button while the unit is powered off is meant to do? The lights on the front come on as per normal, the power led goes solid green and the WiFi lights start to flash and then they go out, the power led turns orange and it starts it's boot again until which time it gives up and only the LAN led's stay on.

Is there a way to upload the firmware via the serial port? If so what cable/software would I need. I'm currently running Win 10, but have access to an older computer with a serial port if needed. 

At the moment its an expensive metal box so any further help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello sillysod81, 

It is a procedure for performing a hard reset, but I believe pushing the button while its off is to prepare it being held down when you will turn it on. The serial port is used by engineering only so I can't give any commands and it will void warranty if you try it yourself. The best thing you can do is to contact our Support Team, have it diagnosed or if necessary it will be replaced. ProSafe products has a lifetime hardware warranty, just submit a copy of the proof of purchase.

Thanks,   

Message 4 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sillysod81, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 6
sillysod81
Tutor

Thank you for your help.

Sorry it's taken a while to get back online and reply. Router has been replaced and is up and running again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements