× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WDS

sonus_faber
Guide

WDS

Reading carefoully the user manual of the WAC505, I see the WDS capability that would be interesting if I need to install the AP where there is no wired ethernet. Unfortunately I am missing something.

- The SSID used to bridge two AP is the same as the one used by client devices to connect to the WiFi or can be different?

- The bridge is set up on a fixed channel. Do the clients need to use the same channel of the bridge or do thay can stay on auto channel?

- The radio used for the bridge are the same as the one used by clients? In other words, will performances drop since the same radio is used for both clients and bridge?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WDS

Hi @sonus_faber,

Let me share the article below to learn more: 

How do I set up a wireless bridge (WDS) on my WAC505, WAC510 or WAC540 access point?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

WDS

@sonus_faber wrote:

- The SSID used to bridge two AP is the same as the one used by client devices to connect to the WiFi or can be different?

It's a yet another virtual AP with a different SSID In fact, up to four can be defined if the wireless layout is more complex.

@sonus_faber wrote:

- The bridge is set up on a fixed channel. Do the clients need to use the same channel of the bridge or do thay can stay on auto channel?

Clients don't care about how the channel is set on an access point - fixed or automatic.

@sonus_faber wrote:

- The radio used for the bridge are the same as the one used by clients? In other words, will performances drop since the same radio is used for both clients and bridge?

You can put each WDS to any radio, shared with the wireless AP. Of course, the WAC505 has only one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz radio.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 4
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

adding to Kurt's answers.

With WAC505, depending on the usecase, admins can have bridge on 5Gh or 2.4G and service clients on a SSID that is configured only the other radio.

Netgear has WAC540 tri-band AP that will allow network admins to have one radio deticated for Bridge and other two for servicing Wireless clients.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @sonus_faber,

Let me share the article below to learn more: 

How do I set up a wireless bridge (WDS) on my WAC505, WAC510 or WAC540 access point?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements